No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Signature confirmation on freeform bowl  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Signature confirmation on freeform bowl
« on: March 27, 2013, 03:59:29 PM »
I assumed Per Lutken, but looking in the books his initials seemed to be more combined, often together with another No.  - then I wondered about Vicke Lindstrand, but that's the wrong country - so I'm back with PL.
The piece seems to be o.k. in most respects  -  size is 17" x 14.5" (430 x 370mm) and looks the right colour.
So grateful if someone can just confirm this are definitely Lutken's initials please, and thanks for looking. :)

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Re: Signature confirmation on freeform bowl
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 04:13:11 PM »
Looks fine to me Paul, the "Selandia" bowl is Lutken's design. :)

http://www.hardernet.dk/Artglass/Selandia-Per_Lutken_HG_1954.htm

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 09:32:05 PM »
many thanks for your reply Wayne - and smoke it is then.           It was the absence of a number in with his initials that gave just a hint of doubt  -  and I have to admit that Scandinavian has long since been outside my comfort zone.
I've seen quite a few of these free form pieces, and I know the W/Fs example is quite heavy, but this one is really quite a handful in size and weight.
Thanks also for the interesting link:)

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 11:37:25 AM »
You should realise the marking is Holmegaard to tell you the maker and then 19PL62 to tell you that it was made in 1962 and the PL combined is Per Lutken's cartouche but it wiould be signed by virtually anyone in the factory with a scriber.  They vary enormously.  It is a nice smoke coloured Selandia bowl.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=908&page=2&sort=ta

takes you to my gallery on yobunny where you can see many PL cartouches and how varied they can be.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 07:49:06 PM »
thanks for the link Ross - some great pieces there, and as you say the appearance of his initials varies enormously  -  anyway I'll know for the future - will add both links to my favourites :)

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 08:04:42 PM »
Glad I could help Paul.  That other link to Hardernet gets you to "the"  Danish guru Peter Harder who has a fabulous site.  The Holmegaard factory gave him their Holmegaard & Kastrup records to put on the site - I think he said it was something like 18000 items including brochures & catalogues.  I have personally consulted him a number of times and have found him to be a pleasure to deal with.  In the not too distant future I am hoping to get over to the UK on a glass trip and I will try to catch up personally to thank him as I hope to see a little of Scandinavia as well.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand