No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Alfred and James Davies, Stourbridge, bowl - RD 9807, 15 July 1884  (Read 2085 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
A mould-blown hemispherical bowl of cranberry opalescent glass, the rim of the bowl being crimped into 32 small folds. The bowl exterior has an applied clear opalescent trail pincered into five stub feet. The underside of the bowl has a polished pontil mark engraved ‘Rd. No. 9807’.  4 1/8 inches (10.2cm) high by 4 3/4 inches (12.1cm) top rim diameter.

Registered design number 9807 was registered on 15 July 1884 Alfred and James Davies, [Amblecote, Stourbridge]. The design was for pattern and shape.

(Permission for the re-use of the images on GMB was granted by ourplacean).

James & Alfred Davies were cousins, and they took over the Parkfield  Glassworks (on the south side of King William Street, Amblecote)  some time before 1881. The firm traded as Alfred  and James Davies, Dennis Park Amblecote. James died in 1895, and the firm continued to trade as A. and J. Davies. Alfred died in 1910. The business was taken over by his second son, Alfred Edward Davies, and eventually closed in about 1932. The cone at the site has long since gone, but the main façade facing King Street still stands as Faraday House. 

I can only find five registrations for their designs:
RD 4242   27 March 1884
RD 9805-8   15 July 1884

Without the Rd. No., this would simply have been another unattributed ‘Stourbridge’ piece, or wrongly attributed to Webb, Stevens & Williams, etc.

Does anyone have photos of other Alfred and James Davies registered pieces to share?

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Alfred and James Davies, Stourbridge, bowl - RD 9807, 15 July 1884
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 03:55:26 PM »
A brilliant and most important discovery.   My wholehearted congratulations.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 02:06:57 PM »
Threads such as these really make GMB worthwhile! Factually accurate additions to the extant knowledge base are really vitally important. I also live quite near this place so I will look out for the old building frontage next time I am passing... It makes you wonder how many unrecorded pieces this small glasshouse produced....

Robert (bOBA)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 06:52:09 PM »
Robert, Dudley MBC has a Glass Quarter Historic Landscape Characterisation planning document outlined at
http://www.dudley.gov.uk/resident/planning/historic-environment/historic-landscape-characterisation-hlc/glass-quarter-hlc/
and on that page, there is a list of pdf documents.

If you open up the second pdf document in the list, entitled
Glass Quarter HLC Appendix 2 [pdf / 544KB] Proposed Listed and Locally Listed Buildings and Archaeological Priority Areas
page 30 has the schedule for Parkfield Glassworks, King William Street, Amblecote, [HSBMR: 4808]
including a photograph of the frontage before it was renovated, and more details of the whole site.

The same appendix also has lots of information about other scheduled former glassworks sites, with some interesting photos.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 01:28:22 PM »
...   this small glasshouse   ...

Robert — Do you have any evidence for that?   Note the Davies glassworks'
  • Sophisticated use of colour and opalescence,
  • Clever use of moulds and formers,
  • Marketing to the USA.
  • It may have been rather more than a small glassworks.

Also see Gulliver p.63 for other examples of similar foot construction.

Bernard C.  8)
    Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline bOBA

• Members
    « Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 06:26:11 PM »
    Fair point Bernard, the size seems to be undetermined. I have known of factories export to the USA with fewer that 20 employees but some may say that still doesn't constitute a small glassworks. You are correct that the number of employees that were working at this factory (a number that doubtless varied) is not known to us and indeed may not have been "small," as I suggested,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
      • Wales
    « Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 08:27:57 PM »
    Another example in the same design, but this time the body is clear (perhaps with a faint tinge of yellow) opalescent glass. The pincered trail feet are of clear glass.

(Permission for the re-use of these image on the GMB granted by erding18).

Fred.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
      • Warrington, UK
      • My Gallery
    « Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 09:12:15 PM »
    That looks like a uranium body to me

Offline Keencollector

• Members
    « Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 11:31:09 AM »
    The body of this is vaseline, pale yellow.  It is a photo of a piece I purchased.  The Rd 9807 is engraved in free hand writing on the base.  It arrived shattered and so am I. Not enough packing and too much movement in parcel during postage.  Tragic loss as it was so beautiful and rare.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
      • Wales
    « Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 05:10:48 PM »
    I agree that it's a tragedy that a piece like this that had survived almost 130 years in good condition should meet such an untimely end on its way to someone who really appreciated it, probably for the first time in many years.

Still looking for examples of the other four Alfred & James Davies registered designs.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
    Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
    link to glass encyclopedia
    Visit the Online Glass Museum
    link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand