No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dropped Y PY weights  (Read 1007 times)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Dropped Y PY weights
« on: April 02, 2013, 11:44:13 AM »
I see there are several dropped Y ....... PY weights on ebay at the moment some have quite high bids on them . :-X

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
Re: Dropped Y PY weights
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 02:33:12 PM »
Thing is, they are not mentioning Paul Ysart anywhere in the title or description, and they are as the description says, paperweights with PY canes.

The bids are definately not high, fake PY weights will do £150 plus all the time, there is a market and price for them.

If I buy something thinking it is something else when I haven't been misled at auction it is then my fault, not the sellers.  These are no different.

I suspect anyone bidding on those knows perfectly well what they are and the history behind them......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 04:05:10 PM »
Ahh I see but the bidding may be affected by newbies who don't know ?

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 09:58:28 AM »
Which is true for anything at auction or at a fair.  There are a load of fakes of anything worth making out there.  When whitefriars fake bricklayers arrived loads of people got caught out, same happened here.  But, it's the faker at fault, not the seller......

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 10:08:19 AM »
Yes so they were made to deceive . Who made the other canes are they Ysart ?

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 10:28:11 AM »

Hi

I suspect that all the canes and the fake signature canes and the paperweights were made by the same hand(s), and there are at least two different 'issues' of the fakes, quite possibly from different sources.  Remember that Paul Ysart was Training Officer at Caithness, and taught a lot of glass makers, and had a number of different apprentices at Harland / Highland. Any of these could have used their skills and knowledge, or passed it on to third parties, who might then have made the fakes.  Or perhaps a competent glass maker with no direct experience of working with Paul decided to have a go at some copies...who knows?

Alan

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 10:45:57 AM »
Definately to deceive.

What's worse is the work shows considerable talent, so why someone would need to fake PY weights instead of trading on their own skill and building their name up is a mystery.....

Now I'm wondering if anyone has done any UV comparison of the fakes and other known named makers?

Ian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand