No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amber-ish coloured glass "thing" - ID = Bryce Bros  (Read 9487 times)

Offline Kanadiana

• Members
Amber-ish coloured glass "thing" - ID = Bryce Bros
« on: April 25, 2006, 05:58:08 AM »
Hi Folks,

Well, the beautiful sparkles through the amber-y colour
got me on this one so I bought it but for the life of me I can't
figure out what it was used/made for. Anyone ever seen one of these?
I paid a whole .50 cents Canadian for it at my fave 2nd hand store :D

It's about 2 and a half inches high and 4 and a half inches across
the bottom and is quite thick glass. The piece is "all one piece as opposed to a cuplike thing with a separate saucer" No makers  marks or anything. It really is quite an amazing definate cut-looking design, like cut crystal. Would this be what you glass addicts folks call "pressed glass"? :D  I ask this because  I also see trace of a line which makes me think it was molded (I used to make molds for jewelry and always had to clean up the mold lines ;) ) but the definition of the "cut designs" is quite well done but I think too "smoothed" to be direct cuts.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1616

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1617

As ever, thanks for any replies, answers about what it's for and who might have made it even more so ;)

Kanadiana

Offline heartofglass

• Members
Amber-ish coloured glass "thing"
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 07:19:25 AM »
Hi!
My guess is that it's a one-piece fairy lamp.
Fairy lamps are small candle lamps or night lights.The small tea-light or votive type candle sits on the dish, & radiates its soft glow through the shade or dome that rests on the dish/base.
They have been made from the 1880s to the present day,in all different types  of glass, & many shape & design variants.
Usually they are in 2 or even 3 parts, but Fenton made some 1-piece ones.
Yours is pressed glass, but I'm not certain of age or maker.
Maybe it is Fenton.....or probably of American origin at least.
Try putting a small candle (eg. a tea-light) in it. It will look very pretty!
Hope this helps! :)
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Kanadiana

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 07:47:12 AM »
Thanks Marinka ;)

This little piece is wickedly lively with the sun shining through it. I get bright sunlight through the kitchen window every late afternoon and evening and that's where it does it's sparkles and intense glows. I love it!

I don't know how old or young it is, but I see absolutely no signs of wax where candles would surely have dripped and left residue, and I wouldn't want to put a candle in it because I'd hate to have wax drips in it, they're a horror to remove.

So ... a "fairy lamp" is a possibility then ... and pressed glass it is. Thank you for all the info you gave.

By the way ... Happy Anzac Day (belated by a day?)

Kanadiana

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 08:06:26 AM »
My first thought was that it might be a honey, without its lid. But then I looked at the dimensions you'd given and I changed my mind. Too tiny.

Husband (Steve) took a look at it and he has suggested a match or spill holder. The size is right for that.

Oh and yes, it is pressed glass. A most interesting piece.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 08:09:16 AM »
Tip for removing wax.....I put items in the freezer for a while....wax gets rock hard but then it just "flicks" off easily....It really works, but not sure if it good for the glass, although no problems so far.  I have only done it so far with chunky 30's candlesticks,  haven't tried anything more delicate....so I take no responsibility for any damage for this suggestion.  I do not recommend putting item in warm water until the freezing process has truly finished!!!!!

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 08:16:38 AM »
Hi Kanadiana,
thanks for remembering Anzac day, it is today. It's still the 25th here, 6.00pm in the evening.
Maybe your fairy lamp was never used for it's intended purpose. As you have said, it is a lovely decorative item in it's own right.
They are very collectable. There is an excellent website dedicated to them-
http://www.fairylampclub.com/
Enjoy!
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Kanadiana

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 08:46:04 AM »
Quote from: "Glen"
Oh and yes, it is pressed glass. A most interesting piece.

Glen

GLEN: Thanks :) Yes, it's definately an interesting piece and a mystery to be solved LOL I'd thought of food or dining purpose at first, but now am not so sure.  What's the purpose of the flat saucer type flaring part if not to put something on? A little spoon? Used matches? Hmmmm, I wonder of there should be an ashtray with it? Fantasies run wild here LOL

I think a fairy light really is a possibility after browsing them a while ago ... but not sure at all. If a fairy light, then I think some kind of cover or lid should be with it?

Pressed glass ... there, I'm learning about glass here ... and am totally enjoying myself :)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 08:55:41 AM »
I doubt it is a fairy lamp, does a tea candle fit in and not touch the sides? I am fairly certain it is a toothpick holder. Not high enough for a spill holder and match holders incorporated a striker. The tray is for the used picks.

Offline Kanadiana

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 09:07:33 AM »
Toothpicks makes sense ;)

I just dropped a tea candle and it fits the round bottom perfectly flush but the sides of the glass dome outward from the base so don't touch the sides of the candle.

I can't see anyone spending so much care on the whole "design" of this thing without considering ease in inserting and removing, and LIGHTING the candle though. A real pain to deal with the candle. It doesn't make sense. Toothpicks makes way more sense.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 09:48:32 AM »
A mustard or condiment pot perhaps with saucer for spoon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum