No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amber-ish coloured glass "thing" - ID = Bryce Bros  (Read 9482 times)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Amber-ish coloured glass "thing"
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 10:24:22 AM »
Yes, I was wondering about a pickle! The fixed under-dish being for a spoon.

I've not seen a toothpick holder with a fixed under-tray like that (but then I haven't made a study of toothpick holders, so I'm not really qualified to judge).

I keep wondering if it has a part missing - something that would be on top. And just for a smile, the only reasonably matching shape I have come across (but not the pattern, so this is not an attempt at a geniune answer) is in Lechler's "Toy Glass" - and is an ice cream cone holder!

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 12:24:18 PM »
I went back & looked at the pics again, & after reading everyone's ideas, I'm starting to doubt my fairy lamp attribution.
I think one-piece fairy lamps are open at the base, for ease of placing a candle.
Oh well, I'm o.k with admitting I was wrong!
It's all a learning experience! :)
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 01:50:17 PM »
Here is a Monart toothpick holder:

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 02:04:55 PM »
Oh that's cute! Did any other makers do that shape?

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 02:45:30 PM »
Hi Kanadiana,

I don't know who made your piece, but admitting my age lol! I do know that it is for wooden matches.

When I was a kid (1950s- early 60s era) many folks kept little dishes like this on their kitchen stoves and I believe the match companies offered them as a premium. Some of these even have the match company logo pressed into the bottom. The one we had said "Safety Match" on it.

This was back in the day before pilot lights were common on kitchen stoves and you had to light the burners and the oven using a match. The tray part on the bottom is for setting spent matches in to cool. The spent matches that weren't burned down far could be re-lit on a burner that was already lit and used to light another burner, at least that is how we did it and maybe it was because my parents were kids of the great Depression and taught not to waste anything.

I don't know what they were called, but I would say they were like a more modern version of a spill-vase, but for wooden matches instead. --- Mike

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 02:57:14 PM »
Candle wax freezer tip...yes it works on brass and fabrics too. Emmi

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 04:19:26 PM »
Hello:

This is a mustard without the matching lid. It was made by Bryce Brothers of Pittsburgh, PA likely in the period 1885-87.  I will confirm the Line number tonight when I get home to my reference books.

It comes in clear, amber, blue and canary (vaseline).

Very nice piece and an even better price!

Sid

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 04:51:44 PM »
Hello to all  :)
Most interesting thread - thank you and congrats on that lovely glass Kanadiana  :D
here is a blue one which I placed in the Miscellaneous section - now I know why  :wink:

http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/misc/02517.html

couldn't find the maker so far... Sid please?!  8)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Kanadiana

• Members
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 06:10:35 PM »
Match holder seems to be a winner then ... I sure wish there was some kind of mark or something on it. Can't spot one though.

K.

Offline Kanadiana

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 07:45:11 PM »
Ah, that makes me older than you  :shock:  The way you were talking I thought you were my siblings generations at least (1940's LOL)

Yikes ... that 2nd one (Frank posted a pic of a pice like that too, in this thread) is amazing ... right now it says 13 bids and price up to $606.53 U.S. ... therefore would be more in Canadian. Nice sale happening there!

Here is a picture of the bottom of my piece. The cutting pattern is on the bottom (outside) and the inner tray part is actually smooth, as is the inside of the (match/tooth stick/pick holder). The smoothness of inner side of tray part shows the mold lines (4 or a cross + ) that does not show on the smooth center of bottom. There are 2 flaws inside on the floor of the container part that look possibly like melted/burn marks/bumps??? Not a clue if they're original to the piece.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1637

K.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand