No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amber-ish coloured glass "thing" - ID = Bryce Bros  (Read 9450 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Amber-ish coloured glass "thing"
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006, 10:07:49 PM »
All the match holders I have seen had an etched striker patch.

Lyon and Turnbull are very good at describing things incorrectly. I found the description as toothpick holder in some Moncrieff literature.

One problem is that normal matches are too short for this item, so apart form having nothing to strike it on you would need tweezers to get the matches out. The price that one reached is remarkable, these usually sell for closer to the 100 pound mark ($150) but the Watsons's label is a rarity, worth 100 pounds to collectors of Monart alone. But do understand that Monart was made in very small quantities, only to order and completely hand shaped. These are certainly rare and originally Monart retailed for more than Argy Rosseau. The difference is that there are relatively few Monart collectors and while each piece is unique the sale prices rarely reflect the actual rarity. I have seen exceptional and unique pieces sell on eBay for only fifty pounds ($70) that had the been a comparable picec of Schneider, for example, would fetch several hundreds.

For comparison here is a fake Monart matchstriker:
http://www.ysartglass.com/forum/strikerdiamond.jpg

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006, 10:11:57 PM »
Hello:

I am back home again and have my references in front of me.  This little dish is Bryce Bros. No. 720 and is actually a mustard without its lid not a match or toothpick holder.  I will edit my previous posting to reflect this.

It remains collectible without the lid and is shown on page 27 of Glass Toothpick Holders (2nd Edition) by Neila and Tom Bredehofts & Bob and Jo Sanford.

Sid

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 10:28:06 PM »
Frank,

The older wooden matches I remember were longer and you didn't need a striker, but could strike them on the stove burner or even flick them with your fingernail to light them. --- Mike

Offline Kanadiana

• Members
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2006, 11:10:18 PM »
Sid ... Thanks so much for looking this up for me and solving the mystery. Did they happen to say when it would have been made so I can learn how old/young it is? And it's nice that it's still collectible without it's lid.

I just googled for "bryce bro's mustard" and came up with this page ... scroll down to see these folks have a clear glass one that looks like mine, and they say pre-1891. And if they're asking $36 for their clear glass one, i wonder how different a price it would be for the amberry coloured one.

http://www.patternglass.com/Store/Toothpicks/page3MiscNov.htm

If my .50 cents bought me something made before 1900 I'm tickled to know it :)

K.

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2006, 12:30:29 AM »
Hello:

The toothpick book that I referenced earlier just says prior to 1891 for the Bryce mustard. I would place it circa 1885-87 based on the colours available which were at their peak in that period.

They list the clear at $45 and amber toothpick at $50 for what that is worth.

Sid

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2006, 05:33:41 PM »
And on the subject of match holders and spills, I don't believe they all have "strikers". I know that matches used to be struck anywhere and everywhere (fire grate, wall, even the bottom of boots!)

I hope the original poster does not mind but I could not resist Glen's remark ref my item

I know it has some age and is pressed glass in amberina - very well made with no nasty mould lines.

OK it's a shoe not a boot, but you get the idea - I think it is a match holder with the strike pad on the bottom or sole of the shoe (pic 3) - I have no idea about maker

5.25" long, 2.5" tall - opening is 3"L x 1"W x 1.2"D

Thanks

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand