No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hollow fish with gold leaf  (Read 3282 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Hollow fish with gold leaf
« on: April 05, 2013, 05:29:19 PM »
This fish is quite light in weight and about 20cm long. Anita has one with a similar form in the Murano Zoo but there are enough differences that maybe this one is from another factory, the clear example here (top right): https://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/fish-invertebrates-4

When I bought this one I passed up two more, same form, slightly smaller and blue. Some shark had been nibbling the tails.

My first thought was Salviati but that is probably just the gold leaf talking. Any ideas?

John

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Hollow fish with gold leaf
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
They look  similar to the Salviati menu or place card  holders but bigger , possibly part of a table service  .

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 03:14:21 AM »
They look like the Fratelli Toso fish to me, but other people could have made them, too. I don't know if Salviati did fish with the large lips like this. However, there is a lot I don't know about this type glass. The eyes and mouth of yours are different from the FT fishes I've seen, but it may be another company -- I don't know.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 09:45:37 AM »
I have a fish vase similar style to your fish, and they seem very hard to attribute >> http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,50228.0.html

The eyes in yours are quite unusual, though, so maybe that can be linked to a maker one day...

Michael

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 05:39:01 PM »
Thank you JP, Anita and Michael for taking a look. If part of a table service I wonder what their function could be?

John

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 06:40:22 PM »
Maybe thats why the mouth is so big to hold something .... like ice and tongs . :-\

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 06:56:17 PM »
I've seen them called salts, and have even seen two of them with little spoons. Maybe it is what they are.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 06:59:42 PM »
Maybe not ice, it would be a bit small for today's 'standard' sort of sized cubes but salt would fit, the interior slopes away from the mouth so it would not flow out. Were the spoons you saw made of glass Anita?

Just a random thought but could you serve caviar in one of these fishes?

Thank you both, this little fishy is turning out to be a really fun item.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 08:52:39 PM »
I don't really understand why why come people call these fish salts. I believe the old salt dishes were ones that actually did hold salt. People could stab some piece of food, then dip it in the salt. Sounds like a great way to get high blood pressure to me.  I can't picture trying to dip every piece of food into the fish's mouth. Meal would be a slow thing.

Caviar holder! Now that seems a perfect use for them. And the little spoons fit into that idea.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 08:14:21 AM »
I thought!!! too big for salt , Caviar did cross my mind or crushed ice the upturn would hold it in . I still go with part of a table service with the menu holders , I believe several firms made them . :-\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand