No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Would appreciate help with ID - czech vase?  (Read 3157 times)

Offline twenty21

• Members
    • twenty21
Would appreciate help with ID - czech vase?
« on: April 08, 2013, 12:46:10 AM »
Hello  ;D

Have come across this clear glass vase with a smooth rim and blue and amber round sides. The colours are very similar to the Mstisov Rhapsody range but I have not found this form anywhere despite some in-depth research.

I would appreciate any information you can provide on this.

Carlo
all text and pictures © twenty21

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Would appreciate help with ID - czech vase?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 07:19:31 PM »
Hello, I've had a good look around the board but can't find what I was looking for.  I think this or something similar to this shape and colour has been on the board before somewhere.  Hopefully someone will be along to help you out shortly :)
I did wonder whether it might be Chribska for some reason but I couldn't see it in the latest catalogue which has quite a few in it.
m

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 07:54:35 PM »
could it be by  FRANTISEK ZEMEK  ooops that is the rapsody range  ::)
there is always someone worse off .

Offline twenty21

• Members
    • twenty21
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 09:22:15 PM »
Thanks guys

I think Chribska could be a possibility..I have found this catalogue page with the same colour combination, however not the shape...

C

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 10:21:46 PM »
There is a highly similar design that had an incarnation at Karlovarske Sklo in the 1960's 1970's, before becoming a Chribska design. Because of the difference in shape, this may be a factor worth considering. This is only recollection, I don't have time to go to Jindras' site and research it all in detail, but I am quite certain this is a possibility. There are Chribska catalogues there but the Karlovarske Sklo version may well appear in a CGR there too. Somebody with a better memory that I or who can search this board swiftly, may unearth some more details, but I think Karlovarske or Chribska are both options, it may have been attributed to Lipa . Can any board member recall this debate? (Admittedly, this maybe a research journey I made on my own........!)

Robert (bOBA)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 10:31:05 PM »
I thought it might have been a vase that Langhaugh had ?  I'll try and find the thread.

edited - was this the thread you werethinking of?
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,46620.msg261950.html#msg261950
m

Offline twenty21

• Members
    • twenty21
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 11:07:19 PM »
Looks like I have found a posting dealing with something very similar

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,35450.10.html

Still reading through but it appears it is a fairly recent Czech production...

C

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 12:16:02 AM »
Thanks folks, this certainly covers some of the ground! I still think I may have seen one with a Karlovarske Sklo label, one more in the shape of this one, rather than the later Chribska shape, though very similar in appearance. It could be the the old pattern was transferred to Chribska at some point..... The similarity of pattern to Rhapsody and the Lipa vase mentioned in another thread, suggests it is a plausible origin. Personally, if it was my vase, I would be happy myself, viewing this as a possibility until the Chribska date of design and designer name is confirmed.... though it is simplest to say Chribska, I think there are older versions of this pattern vase about......

thanks again for the thread finding help........

Robert (bOBA)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 12:57:31 AM »
The colours are a little brighter than the Karlovarske but I'd still lean towards them.

What often separates the two is whether the coloured blobs have simply been applied to surface of the vase (Mstisov, Chribska), or whether the coloured blobs actually connect inside the vase (Karlovarsek Sklo). The Karlovarske blobs also have been worked into the glass far more than the other pieces.  I'll attach pictures of mine, which was id'd by Moser, and I've got down that it was designed by Vladimir Mika. I'm not sure where that attribution came from, though.

I think Emmi's one in the original post is  Karlovarske, too.  If in doubt, write Moser. They are always helpful.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline twenty21

• Members
    • twenty21
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 04:18:17 AM »
Hello again

Thank you so much for all the feedback...I am quite green about Czech glass, therefore it has been and very interesting and rewarding experience...

I just thought to confirm that it appears that the two "coloured blobs" are applied to the sides of the vase (very seamlessly I must add0. There is a "bridge' on the base inside the vase that connects the two sides and some of the blue and amber colour has bled on it. I attach a photo of the inside of the vase.

Thanks again!
C

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand