No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czech Car Mascot/Badge  (Read 4849 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Czech Car Mascot/Badge
« on: April 25, 2006, 06:02:03 PM »
I've bought this interesting car mascot, or badge.  It measures 8cm x 6cm.

The words 'BRANNYM MOTORISMEM'  'K OBRANE VLASTI!' 'SVAZARM' 'AUTOMOBILOVA SOUTEZ' are used.  I think Svazarm is the Czech army, and Automobilova Soutez is a car race...but apart from that I don't know what it all means.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1635

There's a hammer & sickle and lion rampant if you look closely too.

I love the modernist look of the car, that's really the reason I bought it, plus the fact that I haven't seen one before.   Does anyone know anything else about it?  Thank you.   :D
I am not a man

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Czech Car Mascot/Badge
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 07:23:42 PM »
Hiya Max, what era do you think it's from - it looks very deco/1930's to me - nice!

Offline chuggy

• Members
Czech Car Mascot/Badge
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 07:39:55 PM »
I know nothing about it other than I think it's fabulous, where on earth did you find it?
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Sklounion

Czech Car Mascot/Badge
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 07:59:34 PM »
Hi Max,
This is post war, probably 1950's.
Please can you post a clear image of the section at the top.
Svazarm is "Federation"
K Obrane Vlasti = to defend the country"
almost certainly,
AUTOMOBILOVA SOUTEZ SVAZARM is Competion or Racing Car Federation.
"Motorising Conscripts to defend the country"
Hammer and sickle date this to post-1948.
Propaganda piece of good quality.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Czech Car Mascot/Badge
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 08:18:05 PM »
Pip Paul and Marcus

Thanks for your feedback.  :D I love this little piece of history, and I'd like to be able to see similar pieces, but I can't find anything on the net about this kind of thing.  :(

Marcus thanks so much for your interpretation of the wording, I actually thought it was earlier than 1950, but in hindsight, the car would be too modern then I suppose...lol

I'll post a better pic of the top as soon as I can.   :)
I am not a man

Sklounion

Czech Car Mascot/Badge
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 08:28:48 PM »
Hi Max,
A pleasure.
The cars are quite likely to be based on cars that had been in production by Skoda. Yes, I know they became a joke,(unwarranted, due to their regular good performances in rallying, throughout the Communist period)and Chuggy lives not that far from a certain Colchester dealership, where they had to wheel-clamp them on the fore-court.
Yet, car-production was a major Czech strength, pre-war, and Hispano-Suizas were made in Czechoslovakia.(As expensive as Bugattis in their day). The car collection in the National Technical Museum in Prague, holds some major surprises for car-lovers.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Czech Car Mascot/Badge
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 10:19:06 PM »
I'll have a look at old Skodas on Google later Marcus...you never know where you might find a lead.  :wink: (a jump lead? lol)

Failing that, I'll drop mascotmania.com (think that's the name) and see if they can help.   :)
I am not a man

Offline mjr

• Members
Czech Car Mascot/Badge
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 08:01:09 AM »
Intriguing-   See the attached skoda which is not the exact same car - but it has the same radiator grill, and the one on the badge seems to be a racing version of it
Martin

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Czech Car Mascot/Badge
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 09:08:32 AM »
Well, it's certainly a very similar grill.  Thanks Martin, that should hopefully narrow down my search significantly.  :D  :D
I am not a man

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Czech Car Mascot/Badge
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 09:54:09 AM »
mascotmania.com
I was trying to think of this name but the site you want is http://www.mascot-mania.com/
Thanks again to Anne's Glassaholic weblinks at http://glassoholic.yobunny.org.uk/ for those who don't already know.
Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand