No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Boda Pearl Diver vase  (Read 3205 times)

Offline neil53

• Members
Boda Pearl Diver vase
« on: April 11, 2013, 04:35:04 PM »
Hi, I wonder if any of you Scandi experts can help me with this vase I bought recently.  It stands 29 cm high and appears to be a Boda equivalent to the Vicke Lindstrand Pearl Diver vases from the 1950s?   It is faintly marked "Boda 2538/1052" (it might be 1062 or 1082) on the base.  Ideally I'd like to know who designed it and whether it preceded or came after the Lindstrand Pearl Diver vases.

Thanks in anticipation,
Neil

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Boda Pearl Diver vase
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 06:19:05 PM »
I was at that auction but never got around to bidding on this one as there was so much interest. It is a huge old beast and that heavy optic ribbing is really effective with the engraving. A lovely and impressive piece of glass.

John

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 06:37:31 PM »
Thanks John, I must admit I missed the attribution to Boda and left a blind commission bid, not having seen the vase, on the basis that it was a Vicke Lindstrand piece.  I'm happy I bought it anyway but would like to know more about it.

Neil 

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 09:01:53 PM »
I think you saw off a telephone bidder or two. There was also a stunning Richardsons jug at that auction, simple form but beautiful enamelling, that had plenty of interest too.

There are a couple of engraved Boda vases illustrated in one of the Pina books but there is little information. 20th Century Factory Glass by Lesley Jackson gives Boda's principle designer (1925 - 68) as Fritz Kallenberg. 

When I saw your vase I wondered if it predates the 50s.

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 09:17:43 PM »
Not much to add I'm afraid.

Afors items were sometimes signed Boda and a number after their merger.

Ernest Gordon worked with Lindstrand at Kosta before moving to Afors.
However it this is unlikely to be by him. He didn't do male figures that I have seen, and the style is not his.

Very intriguing - I hope you get a definitive answer.

Gareth

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 10:33:13 PM »
Thanks John & Gareth,

Looks like it's going to be a while before I find who is behind the vase but that will make it interesting.

John, on a side issue, I picked up what I believe to be a Richardsons lustre.  Can you point me to any reference material either online or written that will help me prove its origin?

Neil

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 08:48:36 AM »
The Richardsons jug was marked on the base, otherwise I would have been in the dark, very similar to this one and marked in the same way: http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19813/lot/40/

The only book with any info I have is British Glass 1800-1914 by Charles Hajdamach, it includes quite an extensive chapter on Richardsons.

John

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 09:10:28 AM »
Thanks John,

Yes, I have that book but it doesn't cover lustres.  The only reference to it that I can find is in Miller's Glass Buyer's Guide which appears to show exactly the same lustre attributed to Richardsons but without sufficient detail to be sure.  Oh well, another research project!! :-)

Thanks to all

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand