No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Amber Bohemia Glass Vase Applied Overshot Decor - Help ID please...  (Read 3450 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Are your quotation marks in the right place?  Did they really say that? Did they actually ask '....Would you respond?'

Ok, these two were also sold as Boston and Sandwich
http://www.treadwaygallery.com/lotInfo.php?i=6425#.UYEgmLWG1u4
 and to me whilst yours does have the alternate icicles, there is something different about the rim on yours and also the one I linked to with all the enamel decoration on it with feet, to these.
I have no idea if all these vases really are Boston and Sandwich (e.g. I suspect a lot of overshot jugs some with peloton in them were listed as American Glass but are actually Bohemian possibly Kralik), but I do wonder if yours and the one with the feet and enamel are maybe French or Bohemian.  Perhaps it was a trend at the time?  or perhaps a Bohemian Maker copied the B&S ones or vice versa?  I don't know, as I know precisely nothing about American glass.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
OK I'll tell you why I posted the contact info...there is a high end art glass dealer in his 60s from the Boston area & he belongs to the B&S group. In the Winter of 2011 he was a our monthly Scotts show (he sets up every month) & another dealer brought him a vase to attribute as that dealer was told it was B&S as we were talking. The Boston dealer immediately said that none of these icicle vases, bowls, pitchers were B&S & it was an old wives tale. His opinion was they were well executed Bohemian, but that he had no idea which Bohemian manufacturer. I just wondered what the museum thought. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks Ken :)  mmm food for thought.
I have little to no idea in all honesty so this is just gut feel  ... I've had a look through the few Harrach pages in my few books and couldn't see similar, but instinctively that is where I would search first.  There are quite a few of them and the optic ribbed shapes remind me of some other Harrach pieces, as does that enamel one with the feet.  I think if they were French they might be marked in some way and the bases don't make me think French really -  I've searched a good number of trailed vases along the way but only come up against these when I was searching for a vase with lizards on -  I remember wondering why some were listed as B & S and then I found a couple listed as Webb's but they all looked remarkably similar.  I came down to thinking they were possibly Harrach.
m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
The biggest difference I notice between my example and this vase is the size of the frit applied to the icicles. B&S frit is generally larger and more granular looking. At least that is my experience.  I know Harrach also did examples of Icicles, but their icicles are more organic and less refined than this example. At least that is my experience.

I would likely lean towards Bohemian, but as to who I have no idea.

Images of my vase attached to compare the frit easily.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
I have also sent an inquiry to the museum with an explanation of the question regarding the attribution being a myth. I laso sent an image of my vase with the email.

I will post the response when I receive it.....  Quite an interesting discussion....

Craig

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Curious to see what transpires from this now - I'm wondering whether Kralik might be a contender for some of them?

Charlene, I wasn't genuinely questioning your post, I was just quite taken aback at the response, which as you say was odd.  It has just occurred to me though, that perhaps that email wasn't meant to go to you, perhaps it was one of the parties you wrote to attempting to send it to the other party to ask if they would do the response to you and inadvertently got sent to you instead - which would explain why it was a little strange.

m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
So I got an email this morning from Dorothy G. Hogan-Schofield, the Curator of the Boston & Sandwich Museum.  It reads as follows:

"Thank you for your inquiry about icicle glass. We have no evidence to support that this type of glassware was manufactured by the Boston & Sandwich Glass Company (1825-1888)"

So all of these attributions are completely inaccurate.  The world of glass will never cease to amaze me.

Craig

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Craig...well I guess the old guy from Boston was correct.  I am never suprised anymore after 39 years in glass & at age 67 that attributions made years ago turn out to be bogus & just old stories passed on. Since I've been around long enough I've seen more than my share of this & even though you are a much younger man I'll bet during your research of Bohemian/Czech glass that you have personally uncovered more than a few of these passed on tales. Ken 

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Uncovered a few, yes.....  Stourbridge Cottage glass as described by John Franks appears it may be one. 

A much younger man.....  NO.....   ;D

Craig

Offline charliepedro

• Members
Sorry for the lack of reply until now folks - Craig, I've just received the very same reply from Dorothy G. Hogan-Schofield - amazing!
M, Yes of course, the message back from Katharine must have been intended for Dorothy :) That clears that up - I was a tad bewildered.
Good to disprove a long-standing myth. Ken, your man knows his onions. So Bohemian, namely Kralik and Harrach could be considered strong contenders now then - I wonder if we'll get a solid attribution for these vases at some stage...  I'll get back to you all if I come across any useful info.

Thanks so much for your input, Charlene

Clearer pics of my vase attached for posterity  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand