No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Amber Bohemia Glass Vase Applied Overshot Decor - Help ID please...  (Read 3426 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Very interesting :)
Charlene would you say the pontil mark on yours is quite large?
I think there are differences between yours and Craig's that make me wonder if they came from two different makers maybe?

It might be good to separate examples of those with all one length icicles, and those with alternate short and long icicles and see if there are any pointers to a manufacturer amongst the examples groups.

This shape looks like it might be the same maker as Craig's vase maybe
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6417916
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
This listing says the jug is id'd as Thomas Hawkes?  I have no idea if Hawkes made such things?  To me the jug looks Bohemian.

http://bid.igavelauctions.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=1603415#Image6
description says:

'an amber pitcher with applied icicles and enameled with flowers identified on the paper labels as 'fig 233, page 129' made by Thomas G. Hawkes, one founder of Steuben glass works and bearing the Hawkes signature, Bourne catalog Oct. 8, 1985'

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
and ref the above jug or pitcher
this seems to explain what the Bourne catalogue was - apparently an important auction of a massive collection of early American Glass -
http://articles.philly.com/1987-02-01/living/26178009_1_glass-house-catalogues-sale

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
This one has a similar base to yours Charlene and the pulled down rim looks similar as well although the icicles are all the  same length
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorian-ICICLE-GLASS-BOSTON-SANDWICH-AMBER-GOLD-CLEAR-VASE-ENAMEL-PINK-BERRIES-/140910349768?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cee94dc8&ssPageName=RSS:B:SHOP:US:101

m

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
That attribution as "The" Thomas Hawkes pertaining to that vase is absolute garbage to put it politely. At age 17 (1863) he was in the cutting shop of Hoare & Dailey in Brooklyn, then he moved to Corning where he founded several operations including Steuben & no operation & I mean no operation whether Hawkes or not in the Corning area made anything like that. Evidently the dolts who ran that auction never read his life story in The Complete Cut & Engraved Glass of Corning by Farrar & Spillman which is the bible for Corning glass nor did they have any knowledge of any of the Corning operations & what they manufactured.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
I think the examples are from different houses also.

I also agree that the Hawkes description on that example was completely in error....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks :) I have to say the flattened oval shape of that jug (seen from the top view) reminds me of the flattened oval shape of my large jug from Harrach.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Unusual Amber Bohemia Glass Vase Applied Overshot Decor - Help ID please...
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2022, 01:25:35 AM »
I have no idea if this linked vase is related to these on this thread but thought I'd post this information for future reference just in case it was useful:

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/293387-vase-eiszapfen-icicles--loetz-earl?in=441-activity

m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Unusual Amber Bohemia Glass Vase Applied Overshot Decor - Help ID please...
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2022, 04:02:00 AM »
FWIW, although I believe the line art shows a similar decor by Loetz, I do not believe the line art matches the piece of glass. The proportions of the actual glass are a far cry from the proportions shown in the line art.  So although I am confident that the line art shows a similar decor by Loetz, I am reasonably sure the two pieces are different. I am not sure that a solid match has been made to a Loetz example at this point.
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand