No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Liquor/decanter bottle - ID = Flindari by Nanny Still for Riihiamaen Lasi  (Read 3199 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Not seen a bottle like this before.   The neck appears to have been applied later, that is, during the process stages.  The stopper is original and fits neatly into the neck.  With stopper inserted, the overall height is approx. 31.8cm.  I'm more than certain this bottle was made by the old traditional method.   The bottle has no uniformity to it, mainly around the patterned textured areas, shoulder and the sides that show wave markings, that were probably caused whilst in some sort of wooden cast/mould.   The only bottles I can recall seeing with this type of overlay around the top of the shoulder is codd bottles.   So dating this bottle I would think would be around the 1920's to 40's.   I hope someone can correct me on this and shine some light as to it's origin and more precise period.  :)  The polished pontil is approx. 3cm dia.  Around the pontil area only, is very smooth and uneven, with a lot of indentations and scratch marks.  I think the correct term maybe pitted.    At adjacent sides to the pontil, it is flat, polished and clear signs of ware.  This is the area that meets a flat surface.   I've tried researching this bottle, especially paying attention to the diagonal pattern design.  It is very clear to me that this bottle is very unique and they wouldn't be one the same.   The bottle so much reminds me of the textured pieces G. Baxter would make.    I maybe totally off track with this one being Whitefriars, but unfortunately I have no way of finding out due to limited and in some cases, no accessability on certain sites.   Oh! not forgetting, I placed my fingers in the neck of the bottle, focussing mainly around where the overlay is situated.  There are no signs of uneven surfaces, which now has left me a bit uncertain as to how the bottle was made.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Additional pics.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Nice Scandinavian decanter in half-post technique. I should know the maker - I really should! Holmegaard? Boda? Definitely 1970s.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
I totally agree with Ivo as I don't know either , ;D yes he is right not Whitefriars .

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Flindari, designed by Nanny Still, Riihiamaen Lasi, so from Finland. Lovely.

http://www.designlasi.com/en/content/flindari-carafe-still-nanny-en-0

Neodymium glass?

John

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Many thanks to you all for the quick response.    I have found an array of info. since your positive I.d John.   This decanter was in production between 1964/68.  The decanter is part of a Flindari Carafe set and Nanny Still won an IDA( International Designer Award) for this range in 1965.  Apparently there are various colours. Bottle green, light green, purple and grey.   The site visited does not mention a clear decanter.   Is this what they mean by grey?  I am not sure if Nanny Still is still ;D currently working for the Riihimaki Glassworks Ltd and I will of course investigate this further.   From the details and the period, I can now see why I first thought it was by G Baxter, as he also made similar type of textured decanters. The only significant difference, was propably the stoppers.    I'm sure also that I have read somewhere, that Scandinavian workers were employed by Whitefriars Glass due to their level of skill in producing high grade quality glass pieces.   I could be totally off track, anyway thank you all ever so much for your contribution. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Nanny Still died in 2009  8)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Since learning about Nanny Still, I managed to pick up another one of her fabulous decanter pieces today.  It's called a Stella Polaris pattern, made around 1963 - 78. I not sure if it should come with a stopper.  Tbh I prefer it without, as it looks fab on display.   I hope you like this too. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand