No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Michael Harris glass charger on ebay  (Read 3705 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Michael Harris glass charger on ebay
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 07:03:13 PM »
I'm not sure there ever was much of a snowflake's chance really  :-*

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »
I had hope before.  :'(
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 07:47:05 PM »
The new poster said that his wife has an interest in glass. He was looking for a place that could give him an idea of value for a specific piece being auctioned and after googling a bit thought the GMB might be the place. But, as he acknowledges, he made a mistake. No harm done to him in the replies and now he'll hopefully find the information he was seeking . . .

Nancy

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 10:02:09 PM »
Sadly, it is not for me, I already have enough chargers and they have a big footprint.

However, I am happy to be shot down in flames (some of us are used to it ;) ) so I would say even a nice item like this may not do so well in the current climate. Happy to talk numbers afterwards, if the seller had set a price and used a fixed price listing then that would be different.

Speaking of which, the other charger mentioned has been offered for sale for a long time now, in my opinion it is a very high asking price. Saying that, I have some items for sale at asking prices that are probably a little over speculative...

John

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 05:50:43 AM »
Can't say these do anything for me and my house is too small anyway.

If it goes for anywhere near £600 I will eat my hat.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 08:50:03 AM »
Hi Scotty welcome to the Madhouse , if you havnt already quit you may get used to it , I have but it takes a while . :( :-[

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 12:57:25 PM »
£600 is a lot for a round one in the current market, but it also depends on how scarce a design it is (and how educated the public are about early Mdina now.)
I suspect there is still a reluctance to recognise non-prescribed items of interest and to concentrate on crizzle stones or the amethyst strapped bottles, now the initial "Fish" as THE iconic piece to have, has died down a bit.)

This is a lot scarcer than a round charger - but it is also unsigned.
I'm intrigued to see how much it will finally go for. You could well be right, John, that it won't fly.
(Your ZigZag, I thought, was incredibly cheap!  :-* )

I don't think you need worry about having to eat your hat, Nemmie. ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 03:33:28 PM »
If you are referring to the zig zag that recently sold on Ebay. It wasn't advertised as such and the picture was horrible.

Not surprised it went so cheaply due to poor listing and that it wasn't the most visually appealing example. I was the underbidder lol.

I think I may be different from the norm in that I collect early Mdina but not by rarity by how much I personally like the piece.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 04:40:09 PM »
I would doubt it's the same Zig-Zag, Nemmie - John's is fabulous and he bought it a good while ago. I didn't see the recent one. I don't normally look at ebay at all these days, this charger was pointed out to me by a friend.

I've always just collected by "what I like", it's absolutely the best way, I think  ;D 
I liked Mdina long before it became popular, so I was buying both rarities and common bits... without a clue as to what their significance was (or wasn't). ::)

Is an image of the recent Zig-Zag still available? I'd love to see it, if you would be kind enough to point me in its direction. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 04:56:53 PM »
I think I saw that, if same, it was Tortoiseshell colour and looked 'Dobsonesque' in style to me. There was another similar perhaps a year back that did very well for a Tortoiseshell piece.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand