No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Engraved vase with initials. ID please, if possible.  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Engraved vase with initials. ID please, if possible.
« on: April 26, 2006, 10:29:28 AM »
Hello All,

I acquired this vase yesterday. I don't know who made it. :?
It is 20cm high and weighs 1.66kg.
The base is polished flat and the same colour as the vase.
The engraving is deep, detailed and well executed.
The vase itself is not signed, but next to the engraving are 2 initials. I can make out the 2nd one, it is an M. I have done my best to take photos, but it isn't easy. :oops:

VaseEngavingInitials
 :shock: Click to enlarge :shock:

The initials are only 3mm in size :?

As always, very many thanks for looking :D  and any info is wecome.
(I think Simone may like the butterflies :wink: )
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline lucyw

• Members
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 11:07:50 AM »
The photo of the initials is really clear, I think you have done really well!
That said though they are really hard to make out. I agree the second does look like an 'm' The first could be either a 'j' or an 'f' I think.
I know this doesn't help much to i.d. it though!
Does the glass have a lead content?
It does look like some Kosta pieces I have seen. but any marks I have seen on them are usually on the bottom.
Lou*
igsby stinks!

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 11:28:26 AM »
Hi Lou,

Thank you. :) Any thoughts are helpful. :P
My first thoughts were Orrefors, so we are of the same impression.
I would presume that it has a lead content as that makes for easier engraving etc. But to be honest, I don't know how to tell :oops:  :oops:  :oops: (showing my total lack of knowledge now)
I have looked in Ivo's book at the engravers of Orrefors. Only 2 (listed) have a surname beginning with M, Karl Müller (KM) and Rickard Möller (??)
I don't think it could be Karl Müller as he was there in the 20's.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline lucyw

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 08:03:42 PM »
If you take your vase out into the garden when it is sunny and look through the glass you may see a 'rainbow aura'. It isn't the same as an irridessence, it isn't on the surface of the glass. It is like lead crystal but the 'rainbows' colour isn't as strong.A lot of scandi pieces have a lead content to make the glass clearer.
 The first initial really could be K,R,F,B,J???? Look for an engraver who was also a doctor!!!!
It is a lovely piece, looks very touchable.
Lou*
igsby stinks!

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 08:59:43 AM »
Hi Lou,
Well the sun is out, so I have been in the garden. I also took out a piece which I know is definitely Scandinavian and they both have the same 'look' in the sun.
I also noticed  :oops: that the piece isn't all one colour, it is cased, so ignore my comment in the first posting. :oops:

Quote from: "lucyw"
an engraver who was also a doctor!!!!

:lol:  :lol: That was going to be the original title of my posting.

It is 'touchable' too. :P

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 09:10:04 AM »
:D:D:D

Something about this vase shrieks "CAITHNESS".

I have a vase this shape, and Ray recently put up a picture of a rare Caithness art glass vase, made in the Wick Studio. Same shape as this!

The engraving and how it is marked also chorus "Caithness".

Have a look at the "Galleon" vase here.

http://www.ysartglass.com/Scotglass/Caithness/CGwareG001.htm

:D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 11:19:19 AM »
Hi Sue,
 :lol:  :lol:

That is one gorgeous vase!
Thanks for the link.

I did try looking on the engravers website, but of course you need a name of the engraver to find out more, or at least 3 letters. :cry:

Unfortunately, the only markings on mine, are the initials. The quality of the engraving is amazing, I just wish I could capture it on a photo. :cry:  :cry:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 11:46:27 AM »
:D :D :D

Hello Della,

This was the thread Ray's vase was in:-
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4819.0.html
Mod: Link is broken. See http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,5552.0.html for more about Caithness and the Wick Studio

Just because it's not got the full markings that Ray's has, does not mean it's not Caithness! I've found Caithness can be marked in several ways, also, not marked at all. I think that if initials are present, it is artist engraved rather than factory-line stencilled and acid-etched, or at least, finished by the artist.
For example, I've seen a vase marked just "owl, '02", with a nice, but simple, owl acid etched on it.
I've got a neodynum vase with 2 illegible initials on it with an acid etched bird, but finished by hand with stipple engraving.
My other vase, which is similar to Ray's, but has no picture on it at all, has no mark at all.
I've seen nicely engraved pieces with the pattern name, eg "Autumn Leaves" and a couple of initials on it (can't remember the initials, sorry :oops: ).

Unless Ivo or Bill G leap in and say it's Scandanavian, I would think Caithness is your best bet.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand