No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fratelli Toso Vittorio Ferro 50's Vase  (Read 5242 times)

Offline Tripp31

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Italian/Art Vases
    • United States
Fratelli Toso Vittorio Ferro 50's Vase
« on: April 18, 2013, 04:11:05 AM »
Recent acquisition - this one really grabbed me.

Title is how it was sold, but this style seems surrounded by mystery. With Avem, Aureliano Toso, Dino Martens, Fratelli Toso all supposedly making similar designs and shapes, who knows? Sometimes called "tutti frutti", but is this even a legit style?

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Fratelli Toso Vittorio Ferro 50's Vase
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 12:25:01 AM »
"Tutti frutti" is, as far as I know, a name that collectors have given to a particular style of Murano glass. The glass produced in this style is mainly what is often called tourist glass, glass that appealed to someone looking for a piece of Murano to take home. That said, some it of is very well done and some less so. You can rule out Dino Martens as a designer, contrary to what might be said in many eBay descriptions. The companies you mention may well have produced glass in this style, with AVeM being one of the main companies. You could also add quite a few other companies. I've got a similar piece that is one of the cheapest pieces I've ever bought, and yet I really like it.

David 
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Tripp31

• Members
    • Italian/Art Vases
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 06:28:05 AM »
Ebay is currently all over the map with questionable attributions and wildly swinging prices, at least in the US. I've seen so called Oriente pieces with asking prices of 9.99 for a completed auction on a small bowl with no bids a while back - now the seller is asking 60. Another Orient vase sold for over 2K. Sketchy times.

Pieces like mine have similar scenarios ($20-800), with plenty of Dino Martens in the mix. Fortunately, this is irrelevant since I have no intentions of parting with this one.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 02:23:31 AM »
I would scratch the name Vittorio Ferro and include the names Ferro Italarts or Galliano Ferro. Vittorio was with AVeM, but I doubt he had anything to do with the tutti frutti pieces. He was a higher level designer from what I've seen of his work.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 02:25:36 AM »
... and am I looking at it wrong. It looks like an ashtray to me, instead of a vase. I even rubbed my eyes and it still looked like an ashtray (or bowl).
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 05:58:51 AM »
And I would be extremely suspicious of any "Oriente" piece on eBay. There are are many copies around, most very poor, a few reasonably close.
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Tripp31

• Members
    • Italian/Art Vases
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 03:41:40 PM »
Thanks for the info on the other Ferro's, I plan to research these names, just for curiosity.

Re: "... and am I looking at it wrong. It looks like an ashtray to me,..... " It does to me also (and I'm holding it!). I thought the title was kind of funny - Title of this thread is exact title of Ebay listing. I'm not knocking the seller, I feel the price was fair and I like the piece.

It's just that many sellers seem to feel attributions are necessary in order to sell their glass on Ebay. This is the first piece I have purchased from Ebay (have sold many) and scrolling through some of the listings, I was shocked at statements being made. For example on listing for this bowl -  Vittorio Ferro was 18 yrs old in 1950, when I questioned seller how an 18 year old could be a "Master" for Fratelli Toso, reply was along the lines of "well, the item is definitely Murano and it's old".

That's fine, but one shouldn't make attributions by pulling names out of a hat. I have spent many hours researching EAPG and know the difficulties involved. If I am 1% unsure, I will state I am unsure and either provide a best estimate in the listing or "Unknown maker".

The glass should speak for itself - a famous name never hurts, unless it is wrong. Whether deliberate or unintentional, wrong attributions tend to stick - what buyer wants to tell their peers their new 1500.00 Venini is actually not Venini?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would feel better getting 50.00 for a piece with "Maker Unknown" stated vs 200.00 by falsely attributing the item, even if I knew I could get away with it. Where will all of this questionable info posted on auction sites end up? In a book?

My biggest frustration is that all of these layers of misinformation will never get peeled back, the original artist will likely never be credited, and 50 years from now anything unsigned will be attributed only to a handful of the top names.

Hopefully sites like this will continue to pass along accurate info - assuming younger people maintain an interest.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 03:59:23 PM »
The sad thing is that the abundance of bad attributions on eBay may be having a tremendous impact on the Murano market. Dino Martens is no longer the respected name it once was -- not that his designs are worse, only that eBay has beaten the name so badly. Seguso is following the same route. So many poor quality birds and dogs are being called Seguso that the name has lost its impact. I've wondered what the effect is of a large amount of the glass from China being sold as Murano has been on the market. Even sellers that know better do it. They want the money worse than they want their principals.

eBay is not the only problem auction place. LiveAuctioneers host several auction houses that push Chinese as Murano. There are a lot of closet eBays out there dressed up like respectable businesses.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 04:01:06 PM »
You will find many like minded people on this Board. ;D

I recently gave some info to a seller who responded with "thanks for your opinion" and made no update to the listing, seemingly preferring the original text to mine. The item sold at a higher price than I would have expected but much lower than if it had been what the seller claimed.

However, there are many instances when sellers respond well to a referral to this Board for a discussion on items similar to those they are offering. That is one of the benefits of the GMB. Messages are usually well discussed and have input from people who have made extensive research as well as others who simply raise questions and ask for confirmation.
KevinH

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 04:04:09 PM »
After I wrote that, I thought about all the good eBay sellers. There are quite a few top-notch sellers on eBay. I wish there was some way to elevate them above the others. That Top-rated seller status thing certainly doesn't work. Some of the best sellers are not in that group because they don't sell enough or ship when the auction ends.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand