No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another Paperweight-Quiz  (Read 17633 times)

Offline Nadine

• Members
    • Paperweights24.com
Another Paperweight-Quiz
« on: April 26, 2006, 01:09:41 PM »
Hello again,

yesterday I was succesfull at a auction.

I´ve won a Lot of 4 Paperweights:

See: http://web888.can13.de/webbrowser/pw.jpg

There are 2 Baccarat, 1 Clichy and one ??????????

Is the other one (top right corner) probably a Val St. Lambert or a french one ?

What do you think ?

As soon as I get the weights I will post more pictures.

Have a nice rest of the week.

All the best
Nadine

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Another Paperweight-Quiz
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 02:00:43 PM »
Brilliant, Nadine!  :D   

As for that mystery weight ..... I have the strangest feeling that I'm seeing tadpoles again!  :shock:  :oops:  Have a look at the earlier thread here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4975.0.html  Do you think the central cane with the white 'tadpole' in red looks similar to the outer ring of 'tadpoles' in that weight?  In which case, could yours be a St Mande?

Anyway, I'd love to see more pictures of your mystery one on its own, please!   :shock:
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
Another Paperweight-Quiz
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 04:58:00 PM »
the mystery weight looks like a st louis with a high dome
cheers Ray

Offline Nadine

• Members
    • Paperweights24.com
Another Paperweight-Quiz
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 07:54:27 PM »
Like you I´m also very curios about the origin of this weight.

First I thought it could be a Clichy, as I saw some roses without petals in the 2005 and 1991 PCA Bulletin, but then I thought more it could be a Val. St. Lambert, but was irritaded about the torsades on the side, which have the french national colors.
Probably you are right with St. Mande as the “tadpole” really looks very similar from this view of the weight, but probably it is a portrait or a silhouette from St. Louis.

Another mystery is the cane with the 5 red dots on the right side of the weight.  I saw this cane some months ago in another antique weight, but I have forgotten where.

Tomorrow evening we all knew more. I hope the traffic is not to terrific as I travel to Bruxxels to pick up the 4 weights.

Have all a very nice evening.

Nadine

Offline Leni

• Members
Another Paperweight-Quiz
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 08:07:14 PM »
The yellow and orange shades are confusing to me.  They aren't very common at all in Clichy, rare but not unheard of in St Mande, more likely in St Louis  :?   If we end up settling for 'Bohemian' again, I'm gonna be mad  :x  :roll:  More pics needed asap, please, Nadine!   :lol:  

Have a good journey   :D
Leni

Offline Leni

• Members
Another Paperweight-Quiz
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 09:10:14 PM »
Had another think.  Those 'barbers pole' red-white-and-blue twists around the edge ......  I'm leaning towards Val St. Lambert!  :D
Leni

Offline Nadine

• Members
    • Paperweights24.com
Another Paperweight-Quiz
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 04:14:02 AM »
Quote from: Leni
Had another think.  Those 'barbers pole' red-white-and-blue twists around the edge ......  I'm leaning towards Val St. Lambert!  :D

Yes, that will make sense. The colors must not stand for the french flag, they are also the typical "barbers pole" colors (which are also used in some Clichy weights). All in all I think it´s more Val St. Lambert than Clichy or St. Louis.

This evening I post more pictures :)

Have a nice day!

Nadine

Offline mjr

• Members
Another Paperweight-Quiz
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 07:51:04 AM »
Nadine's mystery weight.  Here are some more pictures.

side
base

Nadine - you weren't the only one interested. When I saw the big picture, I did the "clichy, baccarat, baccarat, er um ?".  I got them to send me better pictures of the mystery weight which I guessed was probably French and possibly St Louis.

You got them for a good price.
Martin

Offline Leni

• Members
Another Paperweight-Quiz
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 09:04:54 AM »
Pity the one of the top is slightly out of focus  :?  but from the others I'm still sticking with Val St. Lambert!   The latticino strips laid from side to side; the 'barbers pole' twists (which twist to the right  :shock: ) laid low down around the sides; what appears to be a white 'cabbage rose' in the centre of the circle of white / peachy pastry-mold stars to the left of the side picture - yep!   I'm sticking with VSL! :shock:    

(Now watch me get 'shot down in flames', when Nadine posts the next pictures!   :lol: :roll:  :wink: )
Leni

Offline Nadine

• Members
    • Paperweights24.com
Another Paperweight-Quiz
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 09:05:21 PM »
Sorry for getting back so late.

The traffic on the way back home was terrible. It took about 8hours from Brussels to Stuttgart. In the morning I only need 5 hours.

As I made a little shopping stopover in Masmelechen Village, which took also some minutes  :lol: I was at home 10 minutes ago.

Tomorrow morning I will pickup 2 weights in the Bodensee Area and in the afternoon I bring one of the Baccarat weights to another german auction house  :wink:

All the four 4 are really fantastic and I´m very happy, that I´ve won the lot!
One Baccarat is Magnum-Size, the other one measures nearly 3",  the Clichy is a Miniatur and the mystery weight also is a magnum one.

It´s really very beautiful and I never saw such canes before.
I try to make the best pictures I can and post them tomorrow, when I´m back home.

Many greetings
Nadine

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand