No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 2 Patented glass ashtrays both RD 824083 – precise registration details, please?  (Read 838 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Photos of a triangular safety ashtray of frosted or satin pale green uranium pressed glass. The inside base is full of little round holes like a flower frog, with a long thin hole on one side. On the underside of the base it says Chandos House London SW1 Safety Ashtrays Ltd Pro Pat 22612/37 Reg Des 824083.  Each side measures 5 inches (12.7cm).

(Permission for the re-use of these images on GMB granted by bengeworth-crew).

I also attach a photo of a similar safety ashtray, this time in clear glass. The underside has the same RD number 824083 as the green ashtray, but this time the Provisional Patent number is replaced with the full Patent number 505833. The “Chandos House London SW1 Safety Ashtrays Ltd” legend is missing from this clear glass example.

(Permission for the re-use of this image on GMB granted by jakedavidharvey).
Patent no. 505833 is for “an ash-tray having an internal portion composed of an assembly of vertical cells for extinguishing cigars, cigarettes or matches and enclosed by an outer wall, the rim of the wall projects upwards for a sufficient distance to ensure that a lighted cigarette resting on the rim will always fall inwards upon the cell assembly. In one form, the cells are formed in a moulded body of circular, triangular or other shape in plan and having an elongated slot for the reception of matches.”

RD 824083 is not listed on
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/regnos10.htm
but the registration date should be October or November 1937 (presumably in accord with the Provisional patent suffix 22612/37).

Is the number in the Blue Book?  If so, could some kind member please supply me with the precise registration details, please?

Supplementary information:

Govan Gee [of Winchmore Hill, London, England] appears as the inventor (with Safety Ashtrays Ltd. as applicant) on a US Patent application for a “Means for extinguishing cigarettes, matches, and the like” filed 17 august 1937 – see
http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?DB=worldwide.espacenet.com&II=2&ND=3&adjacent=true&locale=en_EP&FT=D&date=19401105&CC=US&NR=2220784A&KC=A#

GB Patent No. 505833 (Improved means for extinguishing cigarettes, matches and the like – Application filed 17 August 1937, and granted 17 May 1939) has the applicant named as Govan Gee – see
http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?DB=EPODOC&II=11&ND=3&adjacent=true&locale=en_EP&FT=D&date=19390517&CC=GB&NR=505833A&KC=A

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Fred, it's not in the Blue Book, but the date would be between 18 and 28 Oct 1937.

It might be worth adding this one to the RD lookup topic here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,52152.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Thank you, Anne.

Parts of the patent applications mention variants in form and other materials, so it may well be that the registration is under a class other than glass.

I will take your advice and add it to the RD lookup topic.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Another CLASS 4 registration I'm afraid.
The attached may be of interest - I hope you can read all of the text from the Register - If not I can send (off-Board) an un-watermared larger copy.          It's just that anything from TNA published in the public domain, must carry a copyright watermark.

Kew reference details are.............   The Register is BT 53/74..........            The Representation ref. is BT 52/2159.

Presumably the Look-up request can now be deleted.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Many thanks, Paul.

I will ask Anne to delete the look-up request.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Excellent, thank you Paul, sterling work you're doing on these lookups. :)

Fred, look-up request deleted as requested.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand