No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars swan with eyes.  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Whitefriars swan with eyes.
« on: April 22, 2013, 03:15:23 PM »
Can only assume that a previous owner has used something like a pale coloured enamel paint to create these 'eyes' - they are on both sides of the head.
At least I've not seen them previously on the few swans I've had, but given all away so nothing to compare this with - and assume factory didn't give vision to a few individuals.                      Height is about 8" (c.200mm), which from memory is a not uncommon size.

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
Re: Whitefriars swan with eyes.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 03:43:15 PM »
I have one with eyes somewhere.

Just thought it was non Whitefriars. Mine has whites of eyes and pupils though so not quite the same and it is sapphire.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 05:58:30 PM »
quote.................."I have one with eyes somewhere"................not on the head then ;) ;)               Thanks Nemmie.........are you suggesting that you consider this one to be non-Whitefriars?               I appreciate that a little knowledge is dangerous - and as I say, I've seen only a few, but would consider this swan to be W/Fs, unquestionably, and the colour looks to be right.         I can only think that some folks have a sense of humour and like to provide their birds with eyes. :)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 07:32:36 PM »
There was something on Whitefriars.com about them , sure someone like Chris or Emmi  will remember .

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 08:09:38 PM »
Sure it is a Whitefriars swan Paul, not sure I remember a post about the 'eyes' though Jp I know a young lady who will though she has 100s.
I will give her a poke ( sorry Leni if that sounds rude  :-[

Chris

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 09:16:26 PM »
thanks people.          Must admit I've not been aware of seeing Leni on the Board for a while  -  was wondering if a certain unfortunate tete-a-tete had put her off the GMB :(

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 05:06:02 AM »
No I don't think I am qualified to verify Whitefriars swans. It certainly looks like one, as does mine. I just assumed mine wasn't because of the eyes.

I will have to dig it out but I haven't seen it for a few years so it could be anywhere.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand