No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness Space Flower  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Kakigori

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights
    • UK
Caithness Space Flower
« on: April 22, 2013, 08:08:50 PM »
Hi,

I am fortunate enough to own two Caithness Space Flowers, however I was very suprised when the second one arrived that it is in fact smaller than my other one.

There is a difference in facet size of just over half a centimetre.  While the difference in circumference (measuring from front to back) is just over half an inch (apologies for the switch from cm to inches).  It may not sound like much, but when you put them side by side you can see a real difference.

The larger one is marked Space Flower 303/1000 Caithness 1976.  It also has the Caithness Glass label.

The smaller one is marked Space Flower 241/1000 1976.  It has the remnants of a label, but is no longer legible.

I don't doubt that either were made by Caithness, but is this disparity in size usual?  It just seems a bit odd, especially when it's a limited edition.

Any help/opinions would be great.

Many thanks,

Kakigori

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
Re: Caithness Space Flower
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 06:53:52 AM »
Welcome  to the forum

This is normal! . 
Every weight is hand made and the amount of glass picked up from the kiln will never be exactly the same every time. As long as the resulting weight is within certain tolerances it will be acceptable.  The same goes for the facetting. This is done by eye, and as long as the facets on one weight match, so the weight looks right, then it is ok. . 
If you compare any two indentical weights you will find differences. I have identical weights with far bigger variances.   
Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Kakigori

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights
    • UK
Re: Caithness Space Flower
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 06:50:07 PM »
Thank you!

That was most enlightening, I'd never even considered things from that angle.  Although I fear that I'll now become obsessed with comparing various dimensions!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand