No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bohemia Glass labelled candlesticks - ID = Desna, Jablonec, 1985, Vaclav Hanus  (Read 6259 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
I've just this week found a pair of candle holders with Bohemia Glass stickers on them, and having searched the board found the archived thread which mentions these stickers but without pictures still available.  I've added a pic of the label to GlassGallery label album here:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1653

and the candlesticks themselves are in my gallery here:

http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-841
http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-842
http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-843

Posting this in case it adds any more to anyone's Czech glass research. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David555

• Members
Bohemia Glass labelled candlesticks
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 03:13:42 AM »
Hi Anne

Lovely pieces by the 'Bohemia Glassworks' Sklarny, Czechoslovakia (Bohemia) - good info pages 38 to 39 - L Jackson '20th C Factory Glass'

Can't come up with an exact designer, could be Dagmar Kudrova with the cut style - Marcus will know more.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Sklounion

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 05:52:51 AM »
Hi Anne, David,
Please can I make it clear that the label is not specific to any one glass-works, but a AOC label(Appelation d'Origine Controlee) issued by Skloexport/Glassexport to show that the glass was made in Bohemia, and also glass type. These are sodium potash glass, as lead crystal carried a similar label stating naturally "Bohemia Crystal". That being the case, these are more likely to be from glass-works other than Bohemia Glassworks, as this was a lead crystal-making national corporation.

See ebay auction number 7394207976 for similarly marked candlesticks, but very definitely Desna, Jablonec, 1985, Vaclav Hanus, and sodium-potash glass.

Thanks for posting the image, Anne. I was surprised that there isn't one in Glass Marks.

Regards,

Marcus

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 01:20:56 PM »
Thanks Marcus

So L Jackson '20th C Factory Glass strikes' again - unless I am misreading.

Page 241 carries the label with the motif under Bohemia Glassworks, Sklarny.

Marcus how much of the Czech glass info in the book is correct?

I must buy that book you gave me a link to a.s.a.p.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 03:07:38 PM »
Marcus, you can add such errata to the Eooros in Print sticky

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2963.0.html

Sklounion

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 05:08:32 PM »
Hi Frank,
It would not be appropriate for me to post any comment to Errors in Print, regarding "20th Century Factory Glass" as the book was not written by me.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 05:32:45 PM »
Quote from: "Le Casson"
Hi Anne, David,
Please can I make it clear that the label is not specific to any one glass-works, but a AOC label(Appelation d'Origine Controlee) issued by Skloexport/Glassexport to show that the glass was made in Bohemia, and also glass type. These are sodium potash glass, as lead crystal carried a similar label stating naturally "Bohemia Crystal". That being the case, these are more likely to be from glass-works other than Bohemia Glassworks, as this was a lead crystal-making national corporation.

See ebay auction number 7394207976 for similarly marked candlesticks, but very definitely Desna, Jablonec, 1985, Vaclav Hanus, and sodium-potash glass.

Thanks for posting the image, Anne. I was surprised that there isn't one in Glass Marks.

Regards,

Marcus

Marcus, thanks for clarifying this - I thought that was what was being said in the earlier thread I read through, so it's good to know I got that right. ;)  I was also surprised there was no label in Glass Marks either which is why I added it - I think I'm paying more attention to labels and marks now than the glass at times!  :roll:   By the way, on the 7394207976 ones - if you zoom right into their label it actually says Bohemia Crystal not Bohemia Glass like mine - although the colour and shape of the label looks the same.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Sklounion

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 07:47:23 PM »
My fault.
I have a quantity of Desna/Jablonecke Sklo pieces. All marked with the Bohemia Glass label. I know these are the same factory, and failed to check the exact wording. mea culpa."the colour and shape of the label looks the same".... but one still needs to read what it says, lesson learned... :oops:  :oops:
Regards,
Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand