No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Alisons Flower Vase  (Read 1567 times)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Re: Alisons Flower Vase
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 09:31:38 AM »
The ribbing on the piece is very similar to Japanese output from the 60's/70's. Although I have not seen anything like the style in your piece before in Japanese Glass, especially with those bold colourful splotches on the piece in that colour way.

My gut feeling says that it may not be Japanese but could be a later Chinese piece from the 80's/90's in my opinion. The shape is quite elegant, but the colour combo seems out of place for Japanese Glass as by the late 60's they were making great glass that was comparable to Murano, and mostly till this day, still mistaken and listed/identified as Murano even by reputable dealers and dare I say, Antiques Roadshow!

What do you mean by indented base? The base shot is very pixelated and it is very hard to tell anything.

-Am studying again and working so don't have much time to come here :( Although I need to list some new SVdA pieces here for reference and some older ones. Will hopefully do that in the coming weeks. Also,  if I can find the time, I will be making a PDF SVdA 'Catalogue' in my spare time which I will make available to the users here from my collection :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 09:34:51 AM »
Also, feel free to PM me is any suspected Japanese Glass is listed here. It may take a week or more to respond but I will end up looking at it. I am slowing putting together labels of Japanese makers/info and organising my data slowly but it will take some time! It is a real mess!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 10:21:34 AM »
Thanks, Kane. It's very good to have your input.
Good luck with the studying, I hope you're enjoying it. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 09:34:43 PM »
Hi Kane thanks for that. I am sure you are right it is Chinese, the more I look at it the more it seems right. There is a slight imbalance and the thickness of the rim and a fairly small opening seem to point to it. Teh base is polished and has a circular polished indent. The ribbing is done well, and it works as a flower vase and as we spent very little on it, Alison is happy.

I have one piece of Japanese glass and I love it, http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,52461.msg297786.html#msg297786 glad you are doing some work on Japanese as I am impressed with this piece. Thanks a lot.

Can't seem to be able to PM on the site if you want to contact rthomas1 AT iprimus.com.au looking forward to speaking with you. (Mod email amended to prevent spam harvesters - change the AT to @ and close up the spaces.)

regards Ardy

PS where is that SvDA book? I think there are several still waiting on that one!

The ribbing on the piece is very similar to Japanese output from the 60's/70's. Although I have not seen anything like the style in your piece before in Japanese Glass, especially with those bold colourful splotches on the piece in that colour way.

My gut feeling says that it may not be Japanese but could be a later Chinese piece from the 80's/90's in my opinion. The shape is quite elegant, but the colour combo seems out of place for Japanese Glass as by the late 60's they were making great glass that was comparable to Murano, and mostly till this day, still mistaken and listed/identified as Murano even by reputable dealers and dare I say, Antiques Roadshow!

What do you mean by indented base? The base shot is very pixelated and it is very hard to tell anything.

-Am studying again and working so don't have much time to come here :( Although I need to list some new SVdA pieces here for reference and some older ones. Will hopefully do that in the coming weeks. Also,  if I can find the time, I will be making a PDF SVdA 'Catalogue' in my spare time which I will make available to the users here from my collection :)
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 09:32:52 AM »
Thanks, Kane. It's very good to have your input.
Good luck with the studying, I hope you're enjoying it. :)

Slightly chopin...:)

It is all online so no running to the other side of town after to work to get to class! It does make life a bit easier :)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 09:34:24 AM »
I think that book is a long way off :(

I might have my crappy PDF available before it is released ha ha...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand