No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fratelli Toso Vittorio Ferro 50's Vase  (Read 5231 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Re: Fratelli Toso Vittorio Ferro 50's Vase
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 04:55:34 PM »
All anyone can do is write and inform the seller, any decent person will change their listing when it is backed up with evidence and links.  Those that don't are the bad ones and if possible write to the buyer. Some pieces reach very high prices and I would certainly appreciate a heads up if I spent a lot on a fake or miss attributed piece.  Not all sellers are deliberately trying to deceive just as there are those that do nothing but deceive. A few of them have been stopped but only by members on here and  elsewhere because eBay could not care less if you sold pound shop glass as Lalique so long as they get their fee.
Pete. :-)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 06:16:17 PM »
I do have to be a bit more gracious to eBay. They have so many millions of listings that they would have to hire professionals in each area and staff to deal with the misattributions and fraud. I don't think they could handle it well without a staff the size of Texas. So we come down to caviat emptor, which hurts new collectors the most. eBay does have a good buyer protection policy in place.

In the past year I've had two customers who once bought from me, then discovered eBay. They both quickly decided to quit collecting after that. Misattributions and damaged pieces curbed their enthusiasm quickly. I remain friends with both, but they don't buy anymore glass from anyone.

I plan to go on eBay next week to sell a few things that I've had in the shop for a while. :( eBay used to be fun. Now it is something that I dread.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Tripp31

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Italian/Art Vases
    • United States
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 02:46:28 AM »
"So we come down to caveat emptor" - Amen.

With all the faults of internet auctions, I can't imagine finding the variety of items available without them. How would someone in a small town obtain the perfect piece from halfway around the world, say 30 years ago? I would guess it was a slow, expensive road with plenty of dead ends.

I haven't had a chance to really drill into this site, but another forum about left-handed guitars has a section devoted to Ebay listings. Both to advertise personal items and to discuss BS listings.

Members are quick to point out all issues - from outright scams, non-original parts as well as great deals on any interesting lefty listing. This is in addition to the sites own "marketplace" section, where many high end trades take place. The admin simply asks for a 1-5% "donation".

Sort of apples and oranges, but it has become a trustworthy marketplace and a great resource regarding online auctions. With glass, maybe there's just too much to tackle.

Re: Tx - would you generally offer up items in the "marketplace" here first, or go straight to Ebay?

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 02:59:42 AM »
Tripp31, I don't advertise on the GMB much. I use it more for glass information and talking among friends. I've advertised some special things, but not much. I usually just sell out of my shop. Things have been so slow that I have to clear some things, so to eBay I drag myself kicking and screaming.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Tripp31

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Italian/Art Vases
    • United States
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 03:03:40 AM »
Ran across this - *listed* as Cordonato Oro / Barovier Toso. Seller claims original labels.

If the labels are right, then Isn't the silver label from the Library, and stated as often used by F. Toso?

At first glance I would automatically think "same maker" as my bowl  shown in 1st post, similar colors and overall style. But there are currently 2-3 very similar bowls on US Ebay. Listed as Avem  and both Toso's (I think).

Hate to beat a dead horse, but this is the first I have seen with labels. Any thought's? Can anyone steer me toward what to look for in determining if both are from same maker?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand