No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Hineri?  (Read 5349 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Is this Hineri?
« on: April 29, 2013, 10:32:22 PM »
Hi all didn't realise there was a part of this site dedicated to Asian (ex china) glass.

I have had this vase for a year or so. Was told it was Hineri and looked on the internet at the time and not sure if I posted it on the Murano site or not....

It is about 10" tall and 6-7" wide. Weighs about 1.5kgs.

Any ideas are welcome.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Is this Hineri?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 01:18:37 PM »
Given  the colours it is most likely Hineri.  If there are no bubbles in the glass it is highly likely to be Japanese.  In my experience most Murano pieces contain many small bubbles , but Japanese have very few.

It is a pain that we can't seem to get a website from Japan to help identify makers.  I suspect a lot of the "Murano" glass sold here in Australia is actually Japanese, but paper labels tell no lies as they have usually been washed off.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 09:29:56 AM »
I would hesitate to say Hineri, my first thought was Kamei for it. But that is just an assumption. It is a really nice piece of glass. I think this one will be identified properly soon Ardy since we have heaps of Japanese glass OZ.

Very true, most of the glass on ebay.com.au in the Murano section is Japanese or from some region in Asia. There is one prolific lister in that section that annoys me with there constant Japanese glass listed as Murano Grrrr...

The mods put the idea of a Far East board to the panel as there was no where to put it besides the Glass Section. I had a hissy fit naturally and bingo! The wonderful mods have put this up for us :)

I should take a free day to go through it...

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 09:55:24 PM »
Hi Kane - Had a good look through Kamei and see what you mean. Isn't it interesting glass? I see a piece for sale at 150 on ebay usa and that is a very interesting piece.  ;D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kamei-Glass-ART-GLASS-VASE-Osaka-Japan-BLUE-w-GOLD-SWIRLS-/300820737584

Will watch this site and looking forward to learning more about this glass. Was there a Murano artist who went to Japan and taught some of the techniques?
Archimede tops my list.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 10:39:26 PM »
That one is very Nason like in the technique, I quite like that piece and shape is very organic. I have liked Japanese glass for about 10-12 years. It is amazing how much we have here. Wish I had had enough cash to collect a lot of it :)

''Was there a Murano artist who went to Japan and taught some of the techniques?''

I will get back to you on this later...am at work LOL :)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 09:36:21 AM »
Hi Ardy, sorry for the delay! I only pop in and out quickly these days...

I suspect that maybe the Japanese went to Murano to capture the techniques or most likely they imitated the techniques from pieces that were already in the market. As we know, a lot of investment was made in Japan after the World War II and you can see a lot of imitation from other countries designs from the 60's onwards. It would have been easy for them to just 'copy' popular colour combo's/designs in the glass area as they have been producing Glass for quite a long time. But adding there on styles and techniques of course.

I really can not add much on to your question as I am yet to figure it out! But as we all know as Glass Collectors is that copying has been done between many of the glass houses in the various countries.

They did catch on quickly though I must admit, as some of there pieces from 60's is often mistaken as Murano!

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 09:38:50 AM »
I saw a huge and beautiful piece of labeled Kamei Glass at the Salvo's in Minchinbury the other week! $95!

Didn't have the cash to buy it but the quality and execution was perfect!

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 06:10:00 AM »
Personally I would upgrade that comment of Kane's to "lots of their pieces are mistaken as Murano". 

The more I spot labelled Japanese pieces the more "Murano bits I Realise probably aren't.

Ross 

P.S.   I have suggestion - let us make it a policy to request from any person who posts a Japanese labelled item permission to show their photos of the label and the item here in the GMB and on to the Glass photographs portion - Anne's Yobunny site as well.
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 11:43:01 PM »
Hi Kane - I am tempted to drive to Minchinbury about (30 mins from me) and see if it is still there if you want to pick it up let me know and I will not do take the drive.

ahremck: I am sure there would be no objection to a label file as they do this on the Murano site, but I think someone set it up originally. Label files are very handy.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 09:54:34 AM »
Thanks ahremck for the correction...i was in a rush :(

It is all yours Ardy if it is still at the store! :)

They have some good pieces at that place...you should check it out. Most not to our taste though, being A.S & SVdA Collectors LOL, but you some nice finds you could make a profit on and some easily identifiable pieces :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand