Author Topic: ID please - probably Perthshire ?  (Read 267 times)

Offline Tony G

• Members
ID please - probably Perthshire ?
« on: May 01, 2013, 02:23:53 PM »
Hi,  bought this as part of a lot and it is not my area. However it is the same old question of Strathearn, early Perthshire or something else?.

My view was pre-1978, PP1 as it is 3" diameter with fire-polished pontil. However in the "Complete Guide to Perthshire Paperweights", it only mentions two rings of canes around the central cane whereas this has 3. I guess this may not be sacrosanct but I would be grateful for confirmation.

Thanks,

Tony

Offline Tony G

• Members
Re: ID please - probably Perthshire ?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 02:25:21 PM »
Hi,  Doh !!

Picture this time.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • My Paperweights Website
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 03:30:01 PM »

Hi Tony.  I have had a few early Perthshire pieces that don't quite conform to the layouts as described by M&M.  I think that it took a little time for Perthshire to be rigorous in the set-ups of the PP1 / PP2 designs, and M&M specify the 'normal production' that covers the great majority of weights.

Alan
Alan
The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton. Please feel free to contact me direct if you do not agree with my comments and do not wish to make your concerns known by posting in this thread.
 http://www.pwts.co.uk

Offline Tony G

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 03:43:04 PM »
Hi Alan,
                   So much of the weight was "right" that I guessed there was a bit more variation possible than suggested in the book.

Thanks for your help,

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 10:12:08 AM »
I too have just acquired a PP1 with this same set up of 3 circles of canes around the centre cane, puzzled me at first trying to find a design other than PP1 that it could be.

Nick

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com