No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID please - probably Perthshire ?  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
ID please - probably Perthshire ?
« on: May 01, 2013, 02:23:53 PM »
Hi,  bought this as part of a lot and it is not my area. However it is the same old question of Strathearn, early Perthshire or something else?.

My view was pre-1978, PP1 as it is 3" diameter with fire-polished pontil. However in the "Complete Guide to Perthshire Paperweights", it only mentions two rings of canes around the central cane whereas this has 3. I guess this may not be sacrosanct but I would be grateful for confirmation.

Thanks,

Tony

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
Re: ID please - probably Perthshire ?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 02:25:21 PM »
Hi,  Doh !!

Picture this time.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 03:30:01 PM »

Hi Tony.  I have had a few early Perthshire pieces that don't quite conform to the layouts as described by M&M.  I think that it took a little time for Perthshire to be rigorous in the set-ups of the PP1 / PP2 designs, and M&M specify the 'normal production' that covers the great majority of weights.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 03:43:04 PM »
Hi Alan,
                   So much of the weight was "right" that I guessed there was a bit more variation possible than suggested in the book.

Thanks for your help,

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 10:12:08 AM »
I too have just acquired a PP1 with this same set up of 3 circles of canes around the centre cane, puzzled me at first trying to find a design other than PP1 that it could be.

Nick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand