No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pukeberg Glasbruk  (Read 6351 times)

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Pukeberg Glasbruk
« on: November 18, 2004, 03:30:31 PM »
Pukeberg Glasbruk has undergone many ownership changes in the past 20 years. They have had many
important glass artists design for them from Eric Hoglund to Eva Englund and of course the Warffs.
Unfortunately, there is not a strong secondary market for their glass at the present time.
Bill Geary

Sklounion

Pukeberg
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 05:32:20 PM »
Bill's comment on the market for Pukeberg is accurate, but what strikes me is that there are similarities in style between some of their glass and the output of the Troika Pottery. (see what that goes for now)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Pukeberg Glasbruk
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 11:11:50 AM »
I have some Pukeberg pieces - they are great quality and interesting in design. I agree, Frank, definately well worth collecting while prices are still very reasonable. Maybe the next Whitefriars ?

Hi Marcus, I have also noticed the stylistic similarity with Troika - so have others. At least one Ebay auction I can remember mentioned it - no doubt to drive up the price,  BUT, in that case, a vaild design comment I feel.
I suspect you are refering specifically to this piece

are there others ?

Perhaps Bill, you could confirm this piece as Pukeberg ?
Also did the designers you mention work for Pukeberg or did they "guest" for the company ? Would their designs for the Pukeberg be signed ?

Rik, why don't you post a pic of yours ? I'm sure we'd all like to see it
Pete

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Pukeberg Glass Works
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 06:59:35 PM »
The Warffs and Eva Englund were on the payroll for sure.
Eva even returned after leaving Orrefors for a brief period. I am not sure about Eric Hoglund. He might have been under contract to receive commission on work designed and sold. I cannot say that for certain.
The glass image shown as a candle holder is Pukeberg.
They are under new ownership who have brought the Kalmar University Design School to the premises: created the Swedish Museum of Design and hired a young 27 master glass blower from Orrefors. Micke
Johansson has a real touch for glass and he is on his way
to be a major factor in Swedish glass. Sorry, Micke and I
went to Orrefors Glass School together in 1989 -1990.

Sklounion

Pukeberg Glasbruk
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 07:06:04 PM »
Paradisetrader,
Yes. I know of at least four designs for these, and there may be others. Prices seem to be moving, last year these were common on eBay for under £10, currently one on at £21, and yes, they mention Troika.....
Marcus

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Pukeberg Glasbruk
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 04:35:06 PM »
The Swedish Museum of Design will be located in the glass works at Pukeberg. It is becoming a very interesting place to visit.
The management of Orrefors Crystal Group has announced Orrefors and Kosta Boda are up for sale.
They have closed down Sandvik which had an exciting history within Swedish glass.
Your figure does not ring a bell. The Swedes did not seem to want to add to the design of these types of
figurines with acid treatment or sand blasting. It seems
more European than Scandinavian.
Have no real clues. Sorry
Bill Geary

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Pukeberg Glasbruk
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 09:57:38 PM »
Thanks Bill
Can you give us an inkling of what was so exciting at Sandvik ?
Presumably before the Orrefors take-over in 1918 ? after which I guess production was not identified as being from that factory ?
You only give a short bio of the firm in Scandinavian Glass - Creative Energies - and no pics that I can see. Have you written any other books on Scandinavian Glass ? I can't find any others on Amazon.
Doesn't the Sandvik name live on in the construction industry ?
Pete

Anonymous

Pukeberg Glasbruk
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 07:50:06 PM »
Peter: Sandvik was a wholly owned subsidiary of Orrefors. It was the focal point for the early concept in
Swedish glass of creating beautiful things for everyday life. Gate; Hald and others at Orrefors designed simple designs created in soda glass. There are a few pamphlets produced in Swedish by Orrefors on Sandvik but I know of no other books.
I have been working on a book on Edvin Öhrström and a new one on the drawings of the artists used to create
glass at the Swedisg glasworks. Must find a publisher for this one.
I hope you enjoyed my book.
Best
Bill Geary

Sklounion

Pukeberg Glasbruk
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 07:31:00 AM »
I have discovered that vases similar to the one posted by Paradisetrader may be confused with vases of similar shape and size by Walther Glass of Germany. Date @ 1970's

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand