No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness bowl info needed  (Read 2039 times)

Offline millarart

• Members
Caithness bowl info needed
« on: May 04, 2013, 11:14:53 AM »
Hi, i bought a large clear glass Caithness bowl today at a bootsale, its engraved with a pointer dog, trees, lake/pond with duck etc, on the base its engraved Willie Bain CG 1992 Pointer No1, ive looked but cant seem to find another or any info on whether it was part of a limited editon etc, anyone have any info on this piece they could share please,
                          cheers Gary
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline NMott

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
Re: Caithness bowl info needed
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 11:38:06 AM »
Sounds like it was specially engraved for a prize giving at a dog show.
Will need photos to tell you more, but I doubt it's a limited edition unless it's so numbered on the base, eg, 3/100

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 12:06:17 PM »
Sounds like it was specially engraved for a prize giving at a dog show.
Will need photos to tell you more, but I doubt it's a limited edition unless it's so numbered on the base, eg, 3/100
thanks, yes i wondered that myself that there should have been an amount, so probably a one off or part of a series maybe, i shall try to take pics shortly

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 12:27:05 PM »
pictures of bowl

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 12:29:27 PM »
more pics of bowl

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 12:47:15 PM »
 :)
It's a rather large and complex engraved design which covers the whole bowl - quite different and rather superior to any "normal" range - although not quite in the same league as the Mastermind trophies.
I'm hoping (for your sake and pleasure) that you've found something rather good and unusual, Gary.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 01:19:28 PM »
:)
It's a rather large and complex engraved design which covers the whole bowl - quite different and rather superior to any "normal" range - although not quite in the same league as the Mastermind trophies.
I'm hoping (for your sake and pleasure) that you've found something rather good and unusual, Gary.
hi Sue,
            the reason i bought it was the fact that it has a lot of engraving around the whole bowl which i havent seen in past pieces of caithness, also the decoration its self is done really well, i normally wouldnt buy caithness unless i thought it was outstanding and this piece really caught my eye, i got the seller down to a third of his asking price so i was very happy with the deal, i suppose it might eventually end up on ebay but then again i might just keep it,

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 02:53:04 PM »
I've also just noticed it's a lot bigger than most Caithness bowls, isn't it?  It must be close to the Mastermind trophy size!

There's a Mastermind trophy bowl in the factory showroom in Crieff - I visit it for the occassional drool. I have a very soft spot for Dennis Mann and his work.

The tree trunk on your bowl is particularly beautiful. :) The more I think about it, the more special I think it probably is.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 02:58:44 PM »
Sue,
     yeah its around 7inches tall by around the same across its widest point , ive seen smaller pieces in this shape just the run of the mill stuff , be interesting to see if anyone can tell me more about it, just have to wait and see,  ::)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 03:13:33 PM »
Have you thought of writing to Mark Hill to ask if he has any idea? He did, after all, write the recent Caithness book, so he might have an idea of how few of these really big bowls were produced. I do see a lot of Caithness around and have been familiar with it most of my life, and I have not seen these. Sorry I can't help more, I'm just rather fascinated and it's got me thinking. :)
I will ask in Crieff next time I'm there - there is a lady who does seem to know a bit about things.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand