No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with vaseline glass? Please!  (Read 3845 times)

Offline liberty1

• Members
Help with vaseline glass? Please!
« on: April 27, 2006, 08:45:48 PM »
Bought two of these today because they are so exquisitely beautiful I thought they were drinking glasses at first but the bowl is so shallow that you wouldn't hardly get any liquid in them.
They shine very brightly under by UV pen light unfortunately  have tried to take a photo but it was rubbish.Then I thought they may be penny lick glasses but the glass is too fragile for that so over to you glassies. Can anyone help?
http://i3.tinypic.com/wko2tj.jpg
Cheers
Doris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline liberty1

• Members
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 08:46:50 PM »
Sorry seem to have got rather a large picture.....oops

Doris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 10:17:26 PM »
Hi Doris

It would be a good idea to remove that pic and put a resized on in its place...it's going to play havoc with some people's computers, plus it makes the page go all wonky!

I can't help you with these glasses, but an idea of size and a photo of the base would be useful to other people.   :)
I am not a man

Offline liberty1

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 10:36:31 PM »
Thanks Max I'll try again sometimes my pics work and sometimes they don't  and I haven't been drinking :(

diameter of bowl 7.5cm height 9 cm foot 6cm.

Cheers
Doris

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 06:26:49 AM »
That's much better, Doris, now please edit your post and remove the first picture.
It looks as if if these are part of a table service from the late 19th or the early years of the 20th century. A full table service had glasses for (usually) water, red wine, port, liqueurs, white wine, champagne and rhine wine. The glasses for rhine wine and sometimes champagne were uranium coloured.
It is almost impossible to establish a maker for these. You could try replacements - good luck.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 09:34:09 AM »
They look like the champagne saucers that became fashionable at one time but "the champagne coupe or saucer-shaped glass, while very popular, was never designed for drinking champagne. It is unstable and does not allow you to fully appreciate the benefits of the wine. There is a legend that it was modelled from the bosom of Marie-Antoinette."

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 02:59:58 PM »
I was amused to watch somebody at the next table in a top-end restaurant reject a Marie-Antoinette coupe (this shape of glass) recently, claiming loudly and indignantly that there was no point in drinking good champagne from such an 'unsuitable vessel!'.

Just a reminder how fashions change!

P.S.
I'll name the restaurant if anyone wants to make them an offer for the 20 or so Marie-Antoinettes that they will be throwing out shortly! ;-)
Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand