No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart Royal Wedding Gift 1947 with Provenance  (Read 2608 times)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: Monart Royal Wedding Gift 1947 with Provenance
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 09:47:22 AM »
Hello,

I have read both threads about these Wedding Gift pieces and understand that they are of particular interest because of the family connection to Paul Ysart and that the story is quite genuine.

Unfortunately, in my experience, there have been many such stories related, particularly with items that have turned up over the years in auctions, particularly in the Perth area. Rarely do they have any documentary proof, such as a hand written letter by the original recipient stating the linkage to the Ysarts. As a result they tend not to attract a premium, rather the value is based on the colour way, shape and aesthetic appeal. This is because when the collector, or dealer, who purchases the piece(s) wishes to resell, the story can only be passed on apocryphally. For true provenance there should be a paper trail - whether this is in note/letter form, or through auction and/or gallery evidence left on the item.

This is especially true in the art market and it is that model that sets the precidence with reference to the original sale through such and such a gallery or auction - directly fro the artst or original collector. This process traces the ownership through to current time and creates the provenance.

Maybe a letter from the current owner stating what she knows with a much information as possible about the history would help the pieces along should they decide to sell them?  :)

However, for me whay Gary has mentioned in the other thread about the vase has validity and is backed up by the evidence that is available about the actual gift given to the Royals.  :(

Nigel

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 10:49:15 AM »
I myself was interested in purchasing the pieces as another shape to add to my collection and nothing to do with who they were made for, as Nigel has already said there is no actual written proof from the original person whom gifted these, i just dont have any Monart goblets in my collection so hence my interest, i have pieces in the wedding gift colourway already and have seen plenty in the past of sveral shapes, so here is where my interest in purchasing them stops, i bow out gracefully your majesty ;D
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 09:51:12 PM »
Heh, Heh,

No need to bow out Gary ;) :)

Cheers, Nigel