No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart Royal Wedding Gift 1947 with Provenance  (Read 2586 times)

Offline Aislingeanbeag

• Members
Monart Royal Wedding Gift 1947 with Provenance
« on: May 06, 2013, 01:24:02 PM »
Some of you may find this story interesting!
A friend of ours who is now a senior citizen grew up in Perth and she recalls her mum's neighbour who worked at the glassworks gave her mum and dad "some bonny glass ornaments when she was onlya bairn."
I came across what remained of these ornaments some years ago and asked about them.
Our friend told us the story of how her Mum's friend Mr Eesat gave her mum The Queens glasses for her and her sister and how she had taken them to Portugal with her, "where the big dish got stolen", before she returned to Scotland.
Three or four houses later there remain a vase and three small goblets one of which got broken recently.
I recognised the glassware immediately as Monart and on inspection the labels proved me correct but the pattern of light duck-egg blue to nearly clear with gold flakes was not one I had seen previously.
I searched the internet and found Frank Andrews who quickly identified the pattern as The Perth Royal Wedding Gift.
A little more talking with the family and Mr Eesat became Mr Ysart and the year became 1947. The eldest brother remembered the tale of how the glassworks made loads of bits and then selected the ones with least variation to form the Perth present.
Apparently any with the slightest defect were destroyed before labelling and what the family were given by the Ysarts were some of the surplus remaining after selection.
So we move forward six years to this week and a call from our friend who is clearing out everything prior to a final move.
In the shed in a small box I re-found The Royal Wedding Gift pieces that had been 'Put away safely' !!!!!!
Our friend wants to dispose of these historic remnants but how?
I again reminded her that they have a value on the market but selling and shipping would be risky so she has a dillema that I am hoping someone here may be able to solve.

Can someone please offer her advice as to the best way to deal with her vas and two and a half small goblets!

Offline millarart

• Members
Re: Monart Royal Wedding Gift 1947 with Provenance
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 07:40:24 PM »
tell them to put them on ebay or ask what they are looking for them and let me know,
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 11:56:11 PM »
She should just give them to me. I'll keep them safe and will pay for the shipping (including all that very heavy bubble wrap)  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Carolyn

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 09:07:44 AM »
Whilst in no way am I doubting the story as related to youself. Could the vase you mention be decanter minus the stopper. Below is a picture of Betty Reid (who dealt with the office side of Monart) with the full set of the Wedding Gift and as can be seen no vase in the set, also in all the literature I have read makes no mention of vase in the set, there was decanters, sweetmeat dishes, goblets, finger bowls and fruit bowl made for the gift.
The rest of the story sounds correct, in 1947 Moncrieff glass works was commissioned to make a gift for the royal couple, it was Paul Ysart and his apprentice Chic Young who made the set.
Gary

Image reproduced with the kind permission of Perth Museum.

Offline Aislingeanbeag

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 10:27:28 AM »
Gary I will get pictures later today when I visit Wendy.
When I first found these bits behind her bar six or so years ago Frank identified them as Royal wedding.
The vase is I think  from memory either an A or a C probably VI size
The small goblets are like those pictured on the table and I was told the stolen big dish was like the one she is holding.
I agree no sign of the vase in the boardroom picture however I had presumed that various other pieces were made for possible inclusion in the gift set before the final selection but none of the family know anything except what they were told by their mother and what they remember from their early childhood.
It occurs to me that if the vase is indeed a rare survivor from the selection process then it would be a trial piece and probably made by Paul himself!
The Taylor family mythology is simply these bits of fancy glassware were given to their mother by Mr Ysart her friend and neighbour!
Until I poked my nose behind the bar they had no idea that the pieces had anything other than sentimental value as mothers ornaments.
I will also get details of the address in Perth where their parents lived and any more details I think may be of interest when I visit later today.

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 11:24:33 AM »
Aislingeanbeag i replied to you yesterday asking if i could view with the intentions of buying,but you havent replied , the posts have been moved to the glass market place on here, email me on millar69er AT aol DOT com

[Mod: Please do not include proper email addresses in posts as Spam Harvesters love to eat them. Always best to refer to the email icon below Username on left.]
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 12:14:13 PM »
... it was Paul Ysart and his apprentice Chic Young who made the set.
Also assisted by Johnny Jones, as confirmed to me personallywhen I spoke with Mr Jones some years ago. He was also shown in a related photo in a Perth newspaper.

Gary, could you also please confrim the situation regarding copyright of the Betty Read photo. Not sure if I have asked this before, but if it is a copy of a photo from Perth Museum, it probably should at least have a "with kind permission of" statement.
KevinH

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 12:41:20 PM »
The image is from the Perth museum Monart archives. I got permission from S Martin  (assistant curator at the time) to use the image.
I should have put it in the my original post.
Image reproduced with the kind permission of Perth Museum.
I knew that Johnny Jones worked with Paul making Monart but was unsure if worked on the wedding gift set, so thanks for that info Kev.
Gary

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 02:18:08 PM »
Thanks Gary. I have added the permission statement to your post with the pic.
KevinH

Offline Aislingeanbeag

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 04:16:08 PM »
Apologies if I gave a false impression but these are not mine to sell and Wendy who owns the pieces although cleaning out her sheds and stores could well decide to hang on to her mothers things as she did when I first found them those few years ago.
The story was put here for interest and the advice requested was a genuine request as well as an attempt by me to gauge local interest.
If Wendy decides to sell I will follow her instructions.
She has no idea of current value except the indication given by Frank that is now several years out of date.
Because of the Royal connection and the involvement between the Taylors and the Ysarts it was originally thought that these pieces would attract a premium but now who knows?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand