Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

crucifix candlesticks

<< < (3/6) > >>

Bernard C:
Oooooooooooooops!*!

In defence of my stupidity, most new members forget to include this useful information!

Bernard C.  :oops:

Glen:
Imperial in the USA made the Crucifix candlesticks in the early 1900s (shown in their 1904 catalog as no. 119). They are known in crystal and marigold Carnival (and I believe, milk glass and purple too, but I have not seen these). The item has been reproduced, but it's pretty easy to spot the repros.

The original Imperial Crucifix should have an 8 sided base. The repros have 6 sides. The arms of the cross itself are somewhat rounded, unlike the repros which are squared and sharp.

I can't give you any information on the value of crystal examples. The marigold ones, however, are very sought after. They are rare and I am aware of single ones - in perfect condition - selling as much as $1000 (US).

A pair of marigold ones just sold on eBay for £255, however. But note there was significant damage. The item number is 7408984521

Glen

Cathy B:
Hi Glen,

Crucifix candlesticks appear in some of the Crown Crystal catalogues, but whether they were imported, from an imported mould or whether they did them themselved I have no idea. I have about 6 of them hidden away somewhere, all in clear, each is different, and none seems to match the one in the Crown catalogue. At some point, can I dig them out and get you to have a look and give your wisdom as to where they all might have come from?

Were they the sort of thing that would have been in constant production since the beginning?

Thanks in advance,

Cathy

Glen:
Hi Cathy - it's an interesting question. I have the 1934 Crown Crystal catalogue in front of me and I can see No. 289 is the Crucifix candlestick. I would say that the one in the CC catalogue looks like the Imperial 8 sided base one. There's another Imperial item that appears to be in the CC catalogues - the Starspray bowl - so I guess it's possible they bought a batch in.

Of course, Bushell's catalogues featured a number of USA made glass items too, so perhaps there were some surplus "job lots" imported  :lol:

I'd be delighted to look at your candlestick pics, but I really only know the Imperial one by sight (we do have a marigold example here).

Nice to chat with you again - and I trust that your other studies are going well  :lol:

Glen

aurora4u:
Thank you all for your information ...... It would appear mine are original as the bases is 8 sided and the cross is slightly rounded as are hands.

I changed my profile to include where i'm from ( Bernard  :lol: )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version