No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: crucifix candlesticks  (Read 9107 times)

Offline aurora4u

• Members
crucifix candlesticks
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2006, 06:57:43 AM »
ps .......... WHATS LORNE?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
crucifix candlesticks
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2006, 07:01:39 AM »
It is better to receive lots of opinions and have things viewed from all angles than to have none at all.  8)  :wink:

I am not sure if you have a photo of your candlesticks, but I think that it would help.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline aurora4u

• Members
crucifix candlesticks
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2006, 07:22:38 AM »
Della .... through one of the posts had a link ...... it was the same as what i have ............ chit ,,,,,,,,,,, oops sorry peter or paul or dang now im confused  :roll:

Sorry ,,,,,i did see a link to a pick the same as i have i double and then triple checed to make sure they were possibly original .........but heck ..... i started confused now i'm even more so ....... ?????

Brenda

Offline aurora4u

• Members
crucifix candlesticks
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2006, 07:24:39 AM »
found it ...the reply from ED ..... ie: hotglass ......his link to e-bay was the same as i have

Brenda

Offline aurora4u

• Members
crucifix candlesticks
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2006, 07:26:40 AM »
:( ......... lost and confused !

Offline aurora4u

• Members
crucifix candlesticks
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2006, 07:33:59 AM »
Sheesh  Ed your difficult

Unfortunately Canada is the most difficult in this respect, as I do not know whether, in respect of imported glass, your country should be regarded as British Empire / Commonwealth, or a close neighbour of the USA, or both. I suspect the last of these, with added input from France.

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
crucifix candlesticks
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2006, 10:20:34 AM »
I have been following this with some interest. When it comes to glass Canada and the US are very much intertwined. Many EAPG patterns made in America can also be atributed to Canadian glass works which would lead one to suspect an interchange of molds.
As far as the crucifix candlesticks, the early years when Boston and Sandwich glass and the New England glass companies were operating can be very confusing. We are talking here about 1850-1860 era. Different bases, candle cups etc. were used in different combinations causing attribution very difficult.
You state with certainty that yours are Imperial glass. Imperial glass operated in Bellaire, Ohio from1901 till 1984. Of course pictures as they say are worth a thousand words. Terry

Offline aurora4u

• Members
crucifix candlesticks
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2006, 06:00:45 AM »
Hi Terry ....  these candlesticks were recently give to me .. the info I have is what the person who gave them to me found in a book somewhere. ..... the only for real info i have is that they were given to my grandparents as a wedding gift.  

they do have an 8  sided base, i belive from what info was provided to me on here that that are original.

Hotglass provided a pic via link to what appears to be the same as what I have.

so ...... Im still in the same boat , where are they from ? .. USA what part ? Approx value ?  Are so many available they arnt worth much ? . I'm not intending to sell ...... but if I passed them on will my kids see more value from them ?

One thing i did notice about my pair was .... from the mold casting there are several lines .  (Flaws)..... marks from ??? ...... my experience with ceramics .... tells me this was an old mold very ..... well used mold.

Thanx again for all the input and info

Brenda

Offline Tony

• Members
Imperial candlesticks
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2006, 07:00:55 PM »
Quote from: "Hotglass"
I think you guys are (unintentionally) misleading the lady with those high valuations.

The scarcity, demand and availablity of the Carnival version is vastly different to the clear.

Chuggy, yours may have been original Sandwich ones which would explain their price. Either that or your bidders got carried away and were ignorant of the huge availablity of these in the States.

Imperial themselves have re-issued these at various times over many years. Many other companies have made slight variations.

Here is a recently sold 8 sided one on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6271681468

Draw your own conclusions

Hello,
Are you indicating that this particular candlestick is a repro by Imperial or a third party.    Tony.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
crucifix candlesticks
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2006, 07:16:55 PM »
Tony, edited your message, you cannot install code or use Javascript nor html. The code tag is to allow examples of BBCODE to show in the post. When you quote a message, your message should be after the closing quote tag. Click edit on your post to see how it looks now.

As to Lorne perhaps Bernard can elaborate?

All I can see is - The Marquis of Lorne Pattern: A Canadian Connection in English Pressed Glass. (Marquis & Marchioness creamer, 5 3/4". Beautifully executed in design detail, this creamer portrays a likeness of both the Marquis & the Marchioness of Lorne on opposite sides of the pitcher. The Marchioness was Louise, the daughter of Queen Victoria. Her husband, the Marquis of Lorne, became the Governor General of Canada in 1878. This pitcher commemorates the arrival of the royal couple in Nova Scotia on November 25, 1878. It was made by Greener Glass Co. in England)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand