No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: crucifix candlesticks  (Read 9113 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
crucifix candlesticks
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 07:57:14 AM »
Oooooooooooooops!*!

In defence of my stupidity, most new members forget to include this useful information!

Bernard C.  :oops:
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
crucifix candlesticks
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 08:23:23 AM »
Imperial in the USA made the Crucifix candlesticks in the early 1900s (shown in their 1904 catalog as no. 119). They are known in crystal and marigold Carnival (and I believe, milk glass and purple too, but I have not seen these). The item has been reproduced, but it's pretty easy to spot the repros.

The original Imperial Crucifix should have an 8 sided base. The repros have 6 sides. The arms of the cross itself are somewhat rounded, unlike the repros which are squared and sharp.

I can't give you any information on the value of crystal examples. The marigold ones, however, are very sought after. They are rare and I am aware of single ones - in perfect condition - selling as much as $1000 (US).

A pair of marigold ones just sold on eBay for £255, however. But note there was significant damage. The item number is 7408984521

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
crucifix candlesticks
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 10:01:08 AM »
Hi Glen,

Crucifix candlesticks appear in some of the Crown Crystal catalogues, but whether they were imported, from an imported mould or whether they did them themselved I have no idea. I have about 6 of them hidden away somewhere, all in clear, each is different, and none seems to match the one in the Crown catalogue. At some point, can I dig them out and get you to have a look and give your wisdom as to where they all might have come from?

Were they the sort of thing that would have been in constant production since the beginning?

Thanks in advance,

Cathy

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
crucifix candlesticks
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 10:19:04 AM »
Hi Cathy - it's an interesting question. I have the 1934 Crown Crystal catalogue in front of me and I can see No. 289 is the Crucifix candlestick. I would say that the one in the CC catalogue looks like the Imperial 8 sided base one. There's another Imperial item that appears to be in the CC catalogues - the Starspray bowl - so I guess it's possible they bought a batch in.

Of course, Bushell's catalogues featured a number of USA made glass items too, so perhaps there were some surplus "job lots" imported  :lol:

I'd be delighted to look at your candlestick pics, but I really only know the Imperial one by sight (we do have a marigold example here).

Nice to chat with you again - and I trust that your other studies are going well  :lol:

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline aurora4u

• Members
crucifix candlesticks
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 03:29:28 PM »
Thank you all for your information ...... It would appear mine are original as the bases is 8 sided and the cross is slightly rounded as are hands.

I changed my profile to include where i'm from ( Bernard  :lol: )

Offline Hotglass

• Members
crucifix candlesticks
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 08:36:29 PM »
I think you guys are (unintentionally) misleading the lady with those high valuations.

The scarcity, demand and availablity of the Carnival version is vastly different to the clear.

Chuggy, yours may have been original Sandwich ones which would explain their price. Either that or your bidders got carried away and were ignorant of the huge availablity of these in the States.

Imperial themselves have re-issued these at various times over many years. Many other companies have made slight variations.

Here is a recently sold 8 sided one on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6271681468

Draw your own conclusions

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
crucifix candlesticks
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 10:39:08 PM »
Quote from: "aurora4u"
... I changed my profile to include where i'm from ( Bernard  :lol: )

Thanks.   New members know what country they are in and where they acquire their glass, so it is not immediately obvious that it should be included in their profile.   It is useful information, as it indicates likely possibilities when attributing glass.    Unfortunately Canada is the most difficult in this respect, as I do not know whether, in respect of imported glass, your country should be regarded as British Empire / Commonwealth, or a close neighbour of the USA, or both.   I suspect the last of these, with added input from France.

If you wish to find Canada-related topics here, don't forget to search on "Lorne".

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline chuggy

• Members
crucifix candlesticks
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2006, 06:28:47 AM »
At the time when we auctioned the pair we had, they were understood to be original 8 sided and came from the estate of an old lady who had lived in Detroit for many years as her husband worked for a large motor company. As I recall they were bought by a collector in Nebraska over the phone who was thrilled with them. The price quoted was not intended as a valuation merely an indicative matter of historical record (I think that cover me before Peter gives me a slap), hehehe!
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline aurora4u

• Members
crucifix candlesticks
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2006, 06:52:43 AM »
I do appreciate all the info you guys have provided .

So what i gather is ....... you do not exactly know where in the USA this comes from .... or whether this might have been a mold brought in from another country ? or that that the current value might be anywhere from 9.99 (on ebay ) because they are very available ...........right to a possible 15oo canadian ...... so ............ ummmmmm am i right back to where i started?......the unknown ?

Thx Brenda

Offline aurora4u

• Members
crucifix candlesticks
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2006, 06:55:59 AM »
CANADA .......... IS WHAT IT IS ........ not part of anything as much as i'm concerned .....is what it is .........as am I

Brenda

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand