No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pair pressed glass decanters RD 709314 - precise registration details, please?  (Read 1578 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
A pair of clear pressed glass decanters bearing RD 709314.

Number not at http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/regnos08.htm

Is the number in the Blue Book? If so, could a kind GMB member provide me with the precise registration details, please?

(Permission for the re-use of the images on GMB granted by Natalie Marlow).

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
The number falls between 19th and 28th November 1924, Fred, but is not in the Blue Book. Methinks this is another one for the lookup sticky topic. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Thank you, Anne.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Josef Inwald's Jacobean (Lord).

You can read about it on my old website (please note it is in archive form - we keep it for collectors to use). I will copy an extract from what I wrote on the page about it, below:

"On November 21, 1924, Clayton Mayers further registered a set of items in the Jacobean pattern with the number 709314. The copyright on this number was extended through to November 1934. A splendid, iridized decanter is known with this number moulded into it."

http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/Jacob2.html

(Edited to add that my information comes from my own first hand research at the Public Records Office,  Kew, some years ago).
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Ahhh thank you Glen. I thought it looked like Lord but this later number threw me totally.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
These decanters are not pressed though, mould blown surely? Saying that, the stoppers could be pressed.

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
We've quite recently had this information on the Board, including Glen's original and very interesting research data, which can be found here...
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,48998.msg276260.html#msg276260......    provide you have the stamina to read through the other bits and bobs.
Incidentally, the height is c. 10.5" (270mm).

However, I feel deprived - my own example of this decanter is without a Regd. No...........although it does carry the words  JACOBEAN REGD  in relief down at the very foot, so there is no doubt as to it's provenance.               Fred doesn't mention these trade mark words, so presumably the pair being shown here don't have them.

For very obvious reasons, these aren't pressed in the sense that a plunger has been used, and although I don't know for certain, I'd suggest that they are mould blown, pneumatically, but I'd agree that the stoppers, being solid, would be pressed.

It would be interesting to know whether Natalie's pieces (can I say that) have the mirrored bases, or not.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand