No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Venetian Compote - Mottled Pink and clear ground with gold foil & powder..  (Read 1672 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Got this today at an estate sale. Similar to a pair of vases I posted for a friend a while back. I am interested in seeing if anyone recognizes the form or maker of the piece. Also, interested in estimations of the age of the piece based on style.

The execution of the piece is exceptionally well done, and the glass is light. The foot has a rounded thicker edge on the perimeter. The twisted stem is hollow and very well executed.  The piece is a little larger than normal standing at 10 inches tall, with a bowl measuring 8 inches wide and 5.5 inches front to back. The stem is 6 inches long and the foot diameter is 4.5 inches. As seen in the images the bowl edges are crimped to form a moderately scalloped edge. The ribbed curled appliques on the bowl ends are applied to the main body. There is light gold foil and powder throughout the piece, including the clear stem.

Any suggestions on this one would help greatly.

TIA,
Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
My guess Artisti Barovier or F.lli Toso, circa 1900 - wonderful piece.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Thanks Ivo. I did a Google image search of both and it seems to bear a stronger resemblance to many of the Artisti Barovier examples.

Craig

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
I have added images against a white background which show the colors more accurately. There are also light bluish spots mixed in with the pink.

Craig

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
I sent a set of images of this piece to Salviati inquiring if it was possibly by them, as I had seen some pieces with a mild similarity. They responded that it did not appear to be their production.

Craig

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand