No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possibly W/Fs. 9022 gold-amber bowl.  (Read 3024 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
possibly W/Fs. 9022 gold-amber bowl.
« on: May 13, 2013, 02:45:13 PM »
I suspect this is a 9022  -  just that it seems noticably different from here.....http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,39591.msg219283.html#msg219283.....
especially the side-on view which looks quite different  -  would there be this much variation?               The ring, however, is very much a W/Fs sound.
This one measures 10.25" in diameter, and grateful if anyone will confirm one way or the other - thanks for looking :)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Re: possibly W/Fs. 9022 gold-amber bowl.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 10:36:03 PM »
Looks good for the lotus bowl, this one in sea green 10" though the foot looks a little narrower on yours? this one is 3" across and about half inch high.
Sure its only a variation and pretty sure both are Whitefriars.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/WhitefriarsGlassSeaGreenLotusBowl02?authkey=Gv1sRgCIrg-o_suMmHiQE#

Chris

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 08:14:42 AM »
thanks Chris - they probably vary more than you think, especially the foot.    It seems to be a bowl design I've found more commonly than any of the others (perhaps about 4 or 5 examples).      I always reckon it's the 'ding' that gives them away  -  I like that sea green colour. :)     

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 11:19:20 PM »
Hmm,

I think you'll find that they are different bowls from the same series and not a variation. The series ranges from the wide open lotus flower (this current thread) through to the bud of the flower, which is of course a vase. All have the name Lotus attached to their description.

The bowl shape in the linked thread is the next to open stage, which accounts for the different foot.

Nigel

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 09:29:50 AM »
Hi Paul, can you confirm the dimensions of yours the only one I have now is the one in the link which is is 10" across and 2" high the foot 3" across and only half an inch high.
I know there are 3 different bowls Nigel the shallow 'open' one which I am sure mine is? another the 'middle' stage which is taller with a much  bigger foot both with the pattern number 9022 and off course the 3rd one 'closed' which as a different pattern number 8972 and I think 2 vases 8974 and 8971
A permanent photo here which may make it easier.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 03:01:38 PM »
thanks for looking Nigel..........mine is 10.25" across  -  the foot is 3" diameter  -  and height is 2".               This is the only one I now have Chris, unfortunately, so nothing else to compare it with.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 03:04:20 PM »
meant to add that the foot of mine is 1/2" high.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 03:12:30 PM »
Pretty sure Paul they are both the shallow 'open' one? IMHO.
Have you got the Jackson book plate 118 page 126 shows the 3? bowl versions.

Chris

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 03:14:58 PM »
If they both have the same catalogue number, what is a 9019?
“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 10:50:21 PM »
At the William Morris Gallery in Walthamstow — well worth a visit — and it's free and there's an excellent cafe — there is a small display of Powell glass, typical of the glass sold in Morris' Oxford Street shop.   On the bottom shelf are two examples of this Lotus bowl in Cloudy Green.

Also on display is a flint version of a water glass designed by Philip Webb for William Morris and made by Powell, shown in sea green in Jackson, Plate 1(i), p97.   I found Jackson slightly confusing in the editorial by Peter Rose on p12, where he identifies Philip Webb as the architect of the Red House.   This was a reference to Morris' home in Bexleyheath, not the glassworks in Stourbridge with the same name.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand