No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hirschberg vase with label  (Read 1594 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Hirschberg vase with label
« on: August 22, 2006, 06:48:42 PM »
Message for Ivo.............

You seem to be the answer whatever my question is so I thought I'd start with you this time!

I have just bought a Hirschberg vase with label - big H in beige on a dark grey background over HIRSCHBERG in small print in grey on a beige background.  I wondered if you would be able to tell me anything about the maker................there doesn't seem to be anything on ebay worldwide - my usual starting point when I find something new.

I can't post a picture yet as I'm visiting my family in London this week............it's not terribly exciting - I only bought it as it was something I didn't know about!

Thank you
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Hirschberg vase with label
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 06:58:45 PM »
There are several of the smaller glassworks in Bavaria which have escaped publicity. They have never been at the cutting edge of design, even though they produced items fully compliant with the taste of the day in the 60s and 70s; they just kept out of the publications. Names include Gistl, Wiesenthalhütte and Hirschberg - there may be others. Some of these stayed out of the limelight because they produced for better known traders like Ingridglas and therefore did not have a marketing department of their own.

Hopefully soon the full history will be made available by someone with access to the archives. For the time being, that is all the info I can give you....

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Hirschberg vase with label
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 07:07:23 PM »
Thank you Ivo................It's more than I knew before!  Maybe we can all help to move the information on by posting our items in the gallery.........I will put mine on once it's washed and photographed.  Kind regards Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand