No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Photo needed: Manchester glass 1840s/1850s/1860s  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Sally

• Members
Photo needed: Manchester glass 1840s/1850s/1860s
« on: April 11, 2013, 03:20:30 PM »
Hello,

I need photos of one or two items of Manchester area glass from 1840s to 1860s period, if anyone can help?

I am writing an article for the Glass Cone magazine of the Glass Association about a family named Walton who manufactured in Bolton, Ancoats, Hulme and Salford, latterly Newton le Willows, 1840s to 1900, making flint glass. The image or images are to illustrate it.

I would give full acknowledgement of course.

The item or items does not have to be identified, in fact it is better if it is generic, 'of a type', but it does have to be 1840s to 1860s.  For instance, a common bowl or creamer ,'penny goods', 'thought to be ....' would be better than something which has a particularly distinct Percival Vickers/Molineaux Webb pattern.  Other than some very late pieces kept by the family, I have no items of glass which have been identified as made by the Waltons, so I need something which was typical and could be said to be like what they probably made.

1840s would be ideal, but anything considered!

Also, the image/s need to be of a good resolution for printing.

Also, I need them within the next few days!

Many thanks,
Sally

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Photo needed: Manchester glass 1840s/1850s/1860s
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 04:02:22 PM »
I think your most likely source of information is Neil Harris.

Have a look at his Manchester glass website at
https://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home
where you will also find his contact details.

Neil has a section on Walton & Co., with details of their RD 391669 of 19 December 1882, at
https://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/other-manchester-registrations-designs-by-name/other-manchester-registrations-u-to-z

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 05:42:09 AM »
Hi Sally, the old email address you have for me is no longer active, so if you want to get in touch, use my gmail account as specified on this page:
https://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/contact---updates

Offline Sally

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 07:10:40 AM »
Hi Agincourt17,
I should have said that I know Neil's work and have been trying to get in touch with him. Now that I have the correct email address for him, I will email him.
Thank you very much.
Sally

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 12:03:57 AM »
believe these are by  Molineaux & Webb manchester
there is always someone worse off .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum