No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ten Blue Bottles Standing on the wall  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Aislingeanbeag

• Members
Ten Blue Bottles Standing on the wall
« on: May 15, 2013, 12:50:40 PM »
Back in the 1960s whilst doing a survey on Newcastle quayside a derelict and flooded tidal cellar was discovered that was full of large bottles. obviously some cargo that was never shipped or were they an import that was stored?
The finder eventually rescued a truck load most of which were brown and a few the most beautiful deep blue.
I have a pair of the Blue ones and have often wondered were these Davidson or did they come from The Ellison glassworks?
The only marks are the '140' moulded on the base
15 1/2" high x 6" dia these are big!
Cheers
Dave

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Ten Blue Bottles Standing on the wall
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 02:15:24 PM »
Hello Dave, there appears to be a pressed '& C' in the centre of the base...can you have a close look and see if you can see the rest of the pressed words...it is just above the 140? 
I keep going back and looking and sometimes the centre pressing looks like a 40 and sometimes an & C .... May we have more pics with the light from other angles please?
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 02:30:40 PM »
They are remarkably similar in size and shape to bottles used for storing chemicals in labs., (certainly in the last century,) they were always called Winchesters.
While I have no idea of the age of your beautiful bottles, the name might help in a search.   :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Aislingeanbeag

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 04:11:09 PM »
I have reexamined both bottles with a loupe and can confirm that the only markings are 140 however on the one pictured there is a trace of another partial flattened 140 below the obvious mould and on the other the 140 is moulded on top of another offset and flattened 140.
It seems that the mould was somehow moved during manufacture but that makes no sense to me.
The bottles are moulded with two side seams although the neck does not have any seam visible and neither does the base which suggests a two piece mould.
Whatever, the cellar had remained undisturbed for a great many years and was found when the local town planners were surveying the ancient quayside prior to the development plan being prepared  which has lead to the current plethora of Bars, Nightspots and expensive apartments.l
Its location was kept a secret by the finders but they sold a load of bottles to work mates !

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 10:25:32 AM »
The top of the bottle has a sort of ridge that looks as if it was designed to have a metal cap (like a beer-bottle one) on it - and if this is the case (which I am not at all sure about) this might assist with a date-line.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 11:34:39 AM »
This is not the most useful reply, but this link might lead you on to others and if you collect bottles the whole site might be of interest to bookmak anyway, always assuming you haven't already got it.

http://www.glassbottlemarks.com/numbers-on-base-of-bottles-containers/

I am trying to find out what date Winchesters went from having either corks, glass stoppers or crown bottle tops, to being screw thread tops, because the Winchesters we had in the dispensary, including amber, clear and blue glass, were all screw thread tops and that goes back to the mid 1960's, so I anticipate your bottles will be older than that, as you say they were discovered around then.  I did wonder if the '140' was a date, Jan 1940?

Anyway hopefully, it all gives us something to carry on the search with...  :)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 04:44:23 PM »
I love these blue bottles - what a fab colour! I have two dark brown ones with a slightly different neck/top and which have their stoppers in still. Both mine are marked  P322 S 80 38 UGB  on the base
http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pid=484
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Aislingeanbeag

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 06:40:57 PM »
Most of the 'Cellar' trove that survived the Tyne flowing in and out twice each day did not have corks or bungs.
Many were broken or cracked and it was those that had stoppers that were damaged by years of bobbing about.
There are traces of cork ahering inside one neck as I must own up to never having fully cleaned the insides.
The Tyne filth was roughly washed out and a little bleach was added to the last couple of rinses as I recall and they have sat on a shelf for 40 + years.
The neck shape has a taper inside to allow for a cork and although I agree there is a lip however I think it is for a wire cage and not a crown cap!
Here are two pictures that show the lip and the back-lit colour that highlights the crud still within!

Offline Aislingeanbeag

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 07:03:28 PM »
Interesting thought that 140 could be a date however I tend to think that it is more probably a pattern no.
The idea of changing a mould every month in order to record a date somehow seems overkill for what was essentially a disposable mass produced product.
About 15 years ago I was in charge of some alterations to a former chemist in Brechin and arrived on site one day to find our digger driver clearing out the cellar through a hole in the rear wall with a mini digger.
That cellar was also full of bottles!
I still have a couple of crates out in the shed so I am now going to do some research on markings.
Unfortunately the digger broke many fine and rare specimens but I managed to retain a couple of hundred that have been disposed of to various collectors. Those that remain are mostly Brown but if I find anything I will report back.
Cheers
Dave

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 07:12:27 PM »
It might be the machine number. They don't look that old and they certainly look machine made. Perhaps they were made at the Alloa Glass Works, which isn't so far away and used to and still does produce huge quantities of bottles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand