No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Waverley Crystal - Edinburgh Crystal ??? Here's a puzzle  (Read 4890 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
 The link below is all I can find about the six glasses I picked up. Really good quality and near identical Edinburgh Crystal mark using the same font and style. I  I couldn't find a similar Edinburgh pattern either.. Could the 'Waverleys' be a commission ?? The link below shows that nothing is known and they are much better placed to know than I am..  I am pretty sure Paul's interest is a given and may hopefully have some answers or clues. I hope the link works

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Scottish-Waverley-Edinburgh-Crystal-Whisky-Tumbler-c1955-/350734119363?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item51a961f1c3&nma=true&si=PU66fr%252FkyjEflXPGveBUMm37q20%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Pete. :-)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Waverley Crystal - Edinburgh Crystal ??? Here's a puzzle
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 04:02:50 PM »
Waverly (as you may well know) is the name of the main train station in Edinburgh. I would imagine it's the name of the cut - but unsual to see it on the glass itself. I might well be wrong!
What size are they?
(I seem to be developing an interest in really massive whisky glasses)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 06:45:09 PM »
must admit I don't have a clue Pete  -  never heard of a Waverley pattern from Edinburgh Crystal - and since Alex at Scottish Antiques Inc. has done his research and found nothing, seems you may be onto a loser here.          I've also looked through some of the Replacements sites - but can't see anything.              However, someone either knew what they were or just liked the look of that pair  -  but eighty five quid seems a lot for the ebay pair, and the design doesn't particularly rock my boat.                Cut whiskey glasses, of one sort or another are not uncommon, and I see them often on my travels.
If you have six, then you could be onto a winner! - depending on what you paid.

I've heard of the Waverley novels  -  Rob Roy and Ivanhoe etc.

No problem Sue  -  provided you don't fill them. ;)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 09:47:49 PM »
I have been to Waverley a few times in the past.  ;D The glasses are only 3 inches high. The one in the picture has a small chip in the rim. Another has a scratch so really only four I would be happy about selling.  It does seem that an exhibition, as mentioned in the listing, could explain the commission idea but if as you said Paul that "Alex at Scottish Antiques" couldn't find a link I don't know who will apart from possibly the buyer of the two glasses. Would it be rude to ask The seller/buyer for some info. I know that ultimately I will sell them but I do enjoy finding out all I can. 

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 09:48:31 AM »
quote................"Would it be rude to ask The seller/buyer for some info. I know that ultimately I will sell them but I do enjoy finding out all I can".
I don't see why not - provided you're polite and courteous , you can ask anyone almost anything  -  at the worst they can only decline to reply.
Never know, they might actually want some of yours in order to complete a small set.           At 3" they seem a tad short for cut whiskey glasses - most I see are somewhat taller - perhaps that's their appeal.            Anything and everything is collected by someone somewhere, so am sure there are folk who simply collect whiskey glasses.                Best of luck. :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 02:51:06 PM »
It's worth mentioning for reference for when the listing vanishes from ebay, that the images in the ebay listing linked above actually show the same marks as the ones Pete shows here, i.e. Waverley Made in Scotland, not the Edinburgh mark. The reference to the Edinburgh mark is in the accompanying text where the seller says the mark is the same shape and font style as the Edinburgh one, but his marked glass says Waverley instead of Edinburgh.

Pete, could you also ask the seller, if you do contact him, if we may add copies of his label and mark to the labels collection for the board please, with credit duly given, of course.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 08:33:15 PM »
I have messaged the seller and have given a link to this thread and a short version of events.  I will get back if and when I hear from them. I am off to see what i can find about the exhibition. 

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 04:59:07 PM »
I have a reply from Alex at Scottish Antiques, it reads as Follows,

...It was Jill Turnbull who is a glass historian at Edinburgh University who I had shown the glasses to (and she now had a pair for her efforts as I originally had four of them) and she in turn took them to a friend who had worked at Edinburgh Crystal...neither of them could shed any light on the mystery and I could find nothing that would help explain them.

The exhibition idea is really just a theory which 'fits', but if you look at the font and size of the acid etched logo on the base, its IDENTICAL to that used by Edinburgh Crystal in the late 1950's (and later) only difference being 'Waverley' instead of Edinburgh. The paper labels would also point to that date range...outside that I cant see them being fakes mass produced outside the UK as there are not enough of them around for that to make sense...so the exhibition theory would still make sense...it was held at Waverly in Edinburgh and I have no doubt that Edinburgh Crystal would be involved as it was a big thing for the local industry to show their wares. Without attempting to find out if they have a record of that exhibition and if they did exhibit and if so what did they show or make specially for the show...I suspect its all hearsay and subjective. Either way its nice to see something turn up that we cant explain...Hope the above helps and feel free to copy and paste into the message board. Kind regards, Alex

The search goes on.

Pete

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 06:29:56 PM »
I'd vote a big thanks to Alex for being so generous and helpful with his information  -  not often that you get that sort of response from the trade, most of whom probably don't bother to research to that extent anyway. 

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 09:56:12 PM »
Yes, I agree Paul. I've been following this thread purely because of the Edinburgh and Waverley links, as I'm not in the least bit interested in crystal stuff, but I was intrigued and Alex's information and comments are invaluable.

Just by the way, because my curiosity was aroused I spent some time finding out about 'The Waverley', which is the only existing passenger carrying paddle steamer in the world, and it's here in the UK! (Had thought that perhaps the glasses had been commissioned for her.)
Nancy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand