No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Familiar objects but where when and who?  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Aislingeanbeag

• Members
Familiar objects but where when and who?
« on: May 18, 2013, 03:47:37 PM »
Here are a couple of what we have heard called spatter glass vases that arrived in a box lot and somehow stayed.
Rough snapped pontils suggest hand made a good few years ago and they are colourful.
Others we have seen tend to have a white glass cased lining however these seem straight of the pipe without the initial white.
Can anyone tell me where, when, who, on these?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Familiar objects but where when and who?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 04:08:03 PM »
A bowl with that folded over crimped rim is called a "Rose Bowl".
I can't help with an id sorry! 
I think this is tending towards what is sometiimes called cottage glass rather than spatter...
And I'd probably start looking somewhere in England before Bohemia.

Are the glittery bits aventurine or mica - or are there just lots of tiny bubbles in it?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Aislingeanbeag

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 05:02:44 PM »
Seem to be mica to my ill-educated eye!
[The adventurine I pictured in Monart Royal Wedding Gift is bigger, sparkles more and has a more copper colour]
Looks like a clear 'gather' rolled in the coloured bits then blown.
Slightly uneven surface texture where the density of the colours varies from the clear.
I have never heard of cottage glass but that is of no consequence as I have never studied glass previously and rose bowls have always been our cut glass things with the metal grid covers!
Cheers
Dave

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 10:22:14 PM »
Hi Dave,  yes, like you, I always thought Rose Bowls were crystal glass with a metal grid until I joined the GMB. 

This is quite an interesting article about rose bowls that you might like to bookmark for future use:

http://www.harrymcgee.2kseo.com/2011/antiquerosebowls.html
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Aislingeanbeag

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 12:01:49 PM »
Can anyone tell me how to differentiate between 'End of day' and 'Cottage' and 'Spatter' or is this 'Emporer's New clothes' terminology for the same thing?
Today I learned a little more and today I also did a rough count on our glassware collection.
Seems we have somewhere just over a thousand pieces!
I know a little about some however I beg your indulgence in advance as I can see an awful lot of questions!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 12:23:22 PM »
"End of Day" does not exist.  ;D
It's a complete misnomer.
Somebody who had not a clue what they were talking about decided that at the "end of the day", there must have been glass melted still in the pot that needed "used up" before the heat on the pot was turned off for the night.

The pots do not get "turned off" at night. It would take too long for them to get hot again for the next day's work.

Spatter tends to describe work with round splodges on it, whereas the stuff called "cottage" tends to have more diffuse, worked-in splodges and perhaps other inclusions such as your mica or bubbles.
But there may well be somebody else who knows more than I do about cottage and spatter.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 12:48:48 PM »
End of the day glass is a term invented by the Antiques Trade, rather than  glassworks'.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 02:48:19 PM »
quote..........."End of the day glass is a term invented by the Antiques Trade, rather than  glassworks'."........... wouldn't doubt that for a minute Emmi, and like so many other things invented by that trade, it's best ignored.      Raymond Slack makes no mention of the word, and Colin Lattimore describes it as a complete fallacy - as Sue says, there is no 'end' to the glass factory day.            However, apparently slag glass did exist, and this is sometimes used as an interchangable description for end of day, although correctly this semi-opaque slag glass was only ever black or very dark green and seems not to have had a long production life (prior to the mid 1880's)
By the way, where do we look in the antiques trade for a provenance of your assertion as to the origin of this expresion?? ;)  -  Do you collect this type of glass?

quote..............."I have never heard of cottage glass"..................join the club Dave, neither have I ;D          I've just tried a variety of dictionaries and books, and unable to find a reference for the use of this word in the sense of a spatter/splatter multi-coloured glass with inclusions of mica and aventurine.
However - something else I didn't know..........there was apparently a glass works in Lambeth, London, active c. 1860, called 'The Cottage Glass Works' so maybe the potential for some confusion there.

I've looked in what I'd assumed would be the obvious place to find expressions like spatter/splatter and 'worked-in-splodges', but Ruth A. Forsythe makes no mention of them.          The lady uses only enameled, mottled and varicoloured - but does say these Czech. pieces include mica and aventurine.              The decorative effect we call spatter/splatter seems to have been a common feature on Czech. tourist glass in the 1920 - 40 period.
So, I wonder who gave us spatter, splatter and splodges??

attractive rose bowl by the way, and thanks to Sue for the i.d.

Refs.     Victorian Table Glass and Ornaments  -  Barbara Morris.
             English Pressed Glass 1830 - 1900  -  Raymond Slack
             English 19th-Century Press Moulded Glass  -  Colin R. Lattimore
             Made in Czechoslovakia  -  Ruth A. Forsythe.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 03:09:19 PM »
There were several articles about cottage glass published in an American magazine by a British collector. Craig is now in touch with him and would be better placed than me to explain what this is so I shall leave it to him. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Aislingeanbeag

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
I have read part of an article about 'Cottage'  written by a John Franks and published in 1997 which describes part of his collection.
There appears to be a copy for sale here
 http://www.tomfolio.com/otherdetailssu.asp?b=91-0226&m=519
It struck me that the term was an invention but who  am I to say.
The internet tends to cause any terms used to proliferate as they pass from site to site and pass into folklore much as the 'Oral tradition' used to work [That system of oral transmission as regards Folksong has now been corrupted by recorded music]
Googling any term seems to generate duplicate hits that bear a striking resemblance to each other but the source should perhaps be treated with a degree of skepticism.
As regards 'End of Day'  A tale I was told regarding Moncrief's was that at the end of shift, or perhaps week, apprentices and others having completed their tasks were allowed to make something of their own to show their skills!
Again I suspect that those who attempt to sell old pieces of dubious provenance would encourage such a tale!  ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand