No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Textured &d ribbed clear glass bowl - ID = John Clappison for Ravenhead  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Kez

• Members
Hello, this bowl is 22 cm's wide and 9 cm's high. It is clear glass with ribbed and textured areas , any help with ID would be great, thank you. Kez

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Textured and ribbed clear glass bowl
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 10:14:27 AM »
I believe this is a John Clappison design for Ravenhead glass.
Gorgeous bowls - very heavy - I use mine all the time for salads  ;D
m

Offline Kez

• Members
Re: Textured and ribbed clear glass bowl
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 01:51:48 PM »
Thank you for that , that's great
Kez

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Another case of a Ravenhead copy of a Whitefriars design or so they say.
Topaz I think the range was called....

http://www.whitefriars.com/catalogues/contents.php?id=901

Chris

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Really?    I see this bowl as far superior to the design of the Whitefriars one.
The photos are great but it's a hard one to photograph and show how stunning it is.  It's a gorgeous design.
m

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
I suppose opinions differ m, but it is well documented that in the '70s Raven head 'ripped off many of the popular but more expensive Whitefriars glassware designs with cheaper copies of their own, I think ? they even sued them over the 'White Fire' design. Copied the bark vases too and and the textured drink ware like the glacier tumblers see some examples here.............
For me far inferior quality..

http://whitefriarsglasswannabees.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/bark-vases-ravenhead-versus-whitefriars.html

I know Whitefriars 'ripped' off a lot of the Scandinavian designers too over the years too but at least the quality was there.

Chris

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
yes, I know, but I would say it depends on the design - same for all makers really to be honest.  And taste is variable I guess.
The quality of this bowl is superb as is the quality of the cactus style vases that have been  id'd as Ravenhead and Lasisepat.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand