No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: John Davenport Glass elephant foot piano rest? Newman Dictionary of Glass  (Read 3980 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
my heart bleeds for you  -  us lesser mortals have to settle for less exotic treasures. ;) ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
of course that's nicely balanced by the pieces I did buy (and shouldn't have) that do prey on my mind  :-X  If the cost of them were all added together I could probably buy an amazing piece of glass lol
does that help?  ;D
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
no, not really................collectors are like any other addict - they're permanently in need of more goodies to satisfy their craving.   If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd probably go and blow it on collectibles, very quickly.
So you know the guilt feelings as well then - but I always get over those quicker than the sense of not having bought something  -  don't think I can change now, too late. ;D

I notice that yesterday I called this a lion's foot - then couldn't remember why.........but just seen that I'd got that word from Hajdamach.
I see that Raymond Notley says a hairy mammoth or yeti foot, and you've said elephant, so got to wondering what the original description says.
When I go back to TNA in a few day's time, I'll check this particular Rd. No. and see what the Register says.       I'll post my pix as usual.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
that collecting craving for me, is to do with researching the piece rather than having it.  However unless I have it, I don't really feel like researching it.  But once it's researched and identified I slightly lose interest in it  :-[
I'm starting to think I should really be working at Broadfield house or in the glass department of another museum.  Then I might not feel the need to buy glass.
Is it just me?
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
I think it's just you and me........................but could be the rest of the Board as well ;D ;D ;D

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: John Davenport Glass elephant foot piano rest? Newman Dictionary of Glass
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 06:53:22 PM »
Here's some pictures of a damaged John Derbyshire lion paw or mammoth foot uranium glass insulator clearly marked for the 12th May 1874 for reference other than the know one in the V&A

Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 09:16:35 AM »
Not sure why I hadn't added the National Archive picture long before now  -  but better late than never, and as a suggestion it might be an idea to correct the subject heading to read Derbyshire.            At least it appears that I'd not added the Kew image here  -  hope it didn't end up somewhere else:)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 12:49:19 AM »
Thank you Paul:)
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum