No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Have a Glass bird I could sure help with is it a Murano? tia  (Read 2569 times)

Offline atruheart

• Members
Have a Glass bird I could sure help with is it a Murano? tia
« on: April 28, 2006, 06:35:23 PM »
wondering if you lovely people can tell me for sure if this is Murano? Also what name of bird would you call it? It is heavy and has copper colored aventurine swirls inside. Measures approx. 7" in H.
tia
Atruheart

Offline atruheart

• Members
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 02:39:48 AM »
Shooot...Im sorry will this pic of the bottom help? and the piece is approx. 7-8" in H.

Atruheart

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 08:08:01 PM »
I'm thinking Italian/Murano or Chinese.  I'm also thinking it's a relatively recent or new piece.  

Can anyone tell me, what's the conventional wisdom on the base being NOT polished?  Does that automatically disqualify it as being Murano?  If not, does it signify that it's made by a low-quality producer?  A Formia bird I posted last week doesn't have a polished base, but is (in my opinion) very high quality.

Charles.

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 08:55:33 PM »
Irrespective of the base, I don't think the features of the bird are either clearly enough defined, of abstractly stylised enough for it to be one of the better Murano workshops and if it is Murano, then likely to be a more recent generic piece.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline atruheart

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 11:54:26 PM »
Thanks! respect your thoughts! :-) So Murano but probably new...it's ok I bought it for my research purposes and didn't pay too much. Just leaning about Italian glass and Newer art glass.

thanks!
Atruheart

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 08:24:25 PM »
conventional wisdom on the base being NOT polished

In vintage Murano, conventional wisdom is that it indicates non Murano production ....
In contemporary and new Murano it could well just be than indication of cost-cutting or could indicate production elsewhere (outsourced) and served up with a Murano label. We know this happens. We just don't know to what extent.....yet.
Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand