No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Clear Console Set with Silver Foil Bohemian or Italian? Looking for Ideas  (Read 1117 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
This is a console set I am interested in gathering information about. The images used here are used with the express consent of the ebay seller who had the item.

Murano has been suggested, but the style of frit used on the pieces does not really fit with any other pieces I have seen, but not really my style of glass. Curious as to thoughts on the origins of the pieces. 

The bowl is quite large at 14 inches wide or so.....

TIA, Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Hi Craig

First is the same Seller or not?  As your pics posted here (point of view taken) are different than those posted there-- but is this the same person?  I have no way of knowing that  ???

If not....
Are these ones HERE kinda look the same??  They are called Applied Berries there, and also say they are Salvanti (??) mind you I do not think they have a label on them

Unless they are the same seller of the stuff you just posted....  ???  Sorry if it is, I tried
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Not the same seller.  I do not know that they are Salviati. If you do a Google image search as a starter, there is not anything really like those pieces.  Also, most of the Salviati I have ever seen is done with at least some colored glass. Also, I have never seen a Salviati with those types of applied berries covered in granulated frit, or any other italian glass for that matter... but again....   not really my style of glass...

But that is why I am here asking about the set.

I find them interesting.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
the bowl seems to have a snapped off pontil mark which isn't something I'd associate with Bohemian glass but would with Murano glass.  Difficult to tell from the pics but the rim of the foot on the candleholders is twisted and applied is it? or is it a folded foot and just the foil making it look twisted.

There is a swan bowl here attributed to Salviati but no reference for att. It has a clear bowl body with silver foil in it and a twisted rim foot.
http://www.burchardgalleries.com/auctions/2000/sep2400/l005a.jpg
m

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Craig this may or may not help, but I have a pair of Salviati sticks with the original label from 1952-57 & they have both silver & gold with grape bunches. Sorry but hurried photo. Ken

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Thanks Ken. It is the absence of any color, which I could not  find in any similar examples of Italian glass, and the use of the very large frit which are the question marks for me.  Really do not know who or where these were done....

M... I wonder where the attribution came from on that link.....  looks a little crude to me....  but it could just be pics.....

Also, I have a Rindskopf vase in Honeycomb which has a purely snapped pontil. Although not common, it would not rule out Bohemia for me yet.....

Craig

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Craig the pic was from a Burchard Galleries auction link.  And unfortunately there was no reference source for the attribution.  I couldn't find similar in my Venetian Glass book though (1855-1914), nothing in there with clear glass with silver foil/leaf. 

My instinct on looking at the set (despite posting about the snapped off pontil mark), was that it reminded me of a kind of cross between Loetz Empire /boule boule and Loetz Argentan.  I know it's not the same decor as Empire etc, but that was my immediate thought on seeing it.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/75608-loetz-ausfhrung-81?in=666
it reminded me of this as well - sorry it's taken a while to remember where I saw it.
Not quite the same I know, but the stems and balls are a similar design and it also has a snapped off pontil mark.
and this
http://www.kralik-glass.com/loetzaus081array.html
m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
It kind of resembles both of those a little, and to be honest I lean a little more towards Bohemian as the origins, but as I have said, I really have no idea. I did send images to a contact at Salviati to explore that possibility.

Craig

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand