No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling Lampton ceiling light Reg 787872  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Viko

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • lalique Jobling
    • France
Jobling Lampton ceiling light Reg 787872
« on: May 22, 2013, 05:18:12 PM »
Hello
It's my first contact with the forum, and please excuse my poor english !
I would like to receive your help in identifying the glass manufacturer of a light

I have a pair of plafonniers built on the same model but with 2 very different glasses.
Each glass is mounted on a articulated metallic (silver plated) which fiffs directly to the ceiling

The first one is a well-known Jobling units with roses, as it marked with  Reg N° 787872
The second one with sirenes and fishes has no visible mark
I cannot find any similar design produced by Jobling. May be you can help me in finding the solution ?
Is the registration valid for only the roses model, or could it included also the other one ?
Do you have another idea ?
Dimensions : diameter 37.5 cm on the metal and 35.5 on the glass / height is 11 cm
Any suggestion should be helpful

Thanking you in advance

Best regards

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Jobling Lampton ceiling light Reg 787872
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 09:05:31 AM »
Hi, both are Jobling and are a great find. The Reg. No. only applies to the roses bowl. The Mermaid lighting bowl was registered just after the war and hence doesn't appear in the known trade catalogues.

I'll check my copy of Baker and Crowe later and add the reg. number for the mermaid lighting bowl.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 11:08:09 AM »
Your mermaid lighting bowl is shown on p.50 of Baker & Crowe's A Collector's Guide to Jobling 1930s Decorative Glass. It was registered on 3rd December 1946 under the Reg. No. 849494.

Welcome to the board :)

Offline Viko

• Members
    • lalique Jobling
    • France
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 12:29:19 PM »
Mosquito,
Thank you very much for your answers, very quick and very clear.
I understand that both bowls are well known.
Is the metallic part used to fix the lighting on the ceiling known also ?
It seems also that many of these bowls are coloured. What's about opalique's unit ?
Is the quality of the design equal for all the units produced ?
If you are interested I can send you better quality photos ( but I don't know how)
Thanks again

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 04:03:55 PM »
Hi, the Jobling catalogue just shows the bowls as 'table bowls', that is to say without any fittings. Sadly I don't know if Joblng sold these as lighting bowls themselves or just supplied them to others to be adapted.

Personally I think all of these bowls are very good quality, though the earlier Lambton Rose and Bird designs are my favourites. Some say the modelling of the mermaids bowl is arguably not as good as on earlier pieces as it's in lower relief and the dolphins, for example, aren't that naturalistically modelled. Jobling's Iris lighting bowl is an almost exact copy of a Verlys design. That said, all are very desirable and the mermaid bowl is seemingly very hard to find and something I'd love to own.

The Lambton Rose bowl was available in green, blue, amber, pink, clear satinised (like your example) and opalique. I don't know what colours the mermaid bowl was offered in, but would imagine that it would be a similar range, though again I'm not aware if opalique was offered post-war. Certainly I've seen the design in pink and possibly in green. There's at least one pink example in the Jobling display at the Sunderland museum.

I'd certainly be interested in seeing more details of the mermaid bowl as that's a pattern I don't own nor have good pictures of. Also pics of the fittings might be of interest as someone might recognise the maker. You can email them to me if they are too big to attach here.

There's some further reading on these bowls here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,49888.0.html

Steven :)

Offline Viko

• Members
    • lalique Jobling
    • France
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 06:44:42 AM »
Thank you Steven, for all the detailed informations on both bowls.
I sent you a mail directly to you, but I am not sure that you received it. That was just in order to send you bigger pictures.
You are right regarding the comparaison between the bowls. The relief of the roses on the Lambton bowl is bigger than the one with the mermaids. But according to my analysis, the fineness of the mermaids is higher. That's why it should be interesting to exchange some new pictures in order to have your advice.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand