No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Henry Greener comports with ‘peculiar’ date lozenge  (Read 2545 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Henry Greener comports with ‘peculiar’ date lozenge
« on: May 22, 2013, 07:36:16 PM »
Two examples of a similar small comport or pedestal bowl, one in purpley-blue slag glass and the other in opaque white glass, by Henry Greener, Sunderland. Both have the Greener 1875-1885 ‘demi-lion with star in paws’ trademark to the underside plus what appears at first sight to be a standard registry date lozenge. On both pieces, however, the identifying letters of digits inside the angles read O-X-A-Y, a meaningless combination for a registration date  - the X is the date letter for 1880, A the month letter for December, but the O and theY should both be digits rather than letters.

The only Henry Greener registration in December 1880 was for RD number 35961 on 8 December, a tankard for E. Hanlan , the oarsman.

Do any other GMB members have an example of this Greener comport? If so, do they bear this anomolous date lozenge or a ‘normal’ date lozenge?

If a ‘normal’ date lozenge, what date is it for, please?

I know that there have been other posts on GMB about pieces with strange or untranslateable date lozenges, but none seem to match this peculiar Greener lozenge.

Offline JimmyBee

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Re: Henry Greener comports with ‘peculiar’ date lozenge
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 07:07:42 PM »
I can't shed any light on the mystery of the peculiar date lozenge, but I do own an example of the comport/pedestal  bowl, and also this matching creamer. Both bear the Greener lion mark, and the 'O-X-A-Y' lozenge (although it reads more like O-X-A-V on the creamer).

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Henry Greener comports with ‘peculiar’ date lozenge
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 07:42:47 PM »
Welcome to the GMB, and thank you for showing the creamer in white opaque glass.

The only example that I have seen before was this one in clear glass (also with the Greener 1st lion trademark and indistinct anomalous RD lozenge).

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand