No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pedestal bowl  (Read 464 times)

Offline yesvil

• Members
Pedestal bowl
« on: May 24, 2013, 06:19:18 PM »
Hi, it's been a while since I have been here!

I found this and have a question? The bowl seems out of balance with the base and I am wondering if it has been chopped down? Added to this there is an uneven slant if you look at it face on. Also I'm thinking this is resonably old - would anyone be prepared to offer an opinion on its age?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Pedestal bowl
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 07:22:07 PM »
there's no accounting for the variation in design, when viewed over a long period of time.         Can't imagine this being cut down, unless it were a very expensive piece to start with  -  cutting down is not a DIY exercise - so suspect simply that it's a design with a disproportionate bowl to foot.        Could be wrong, but it appears that the bowl decoration is moulded and the cutting is limited to the star on the foot, and your pic shows glass that seems quite bright and white, so would not have thought any great age.         Regret I've no ideas as to its origin - glass travels and this might be from anywhere.
You don't mention wear, stones, or size, so not easy to guess as to age or use, but might have been an open sugar, fruit bowl, something for a desert.
Sorry, unable to help with anything useful. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline yesvil

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 07:44:58 PM »
Thanks Paul,

Starting with height: about 110mm. It's heavy! 1.2 KG.

Yes you are quite right the base plate is the only cut section so it's age is not going to be old, I really should have clocked that! Annoying what you forget when you fail to be imersed in a subject.

Wear is substantial but as I said so is the weight. Stones? I presume you are talking inclusions in the glass? There are some but mostly small bubbles. Thanks again for your comments.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 09:37:14 PM »
it's obviously not very tall  -  I'd have suggested an open sugar, possibly, but the bowl shape looks a little too wide and possibly too shallow.         
Yes - stones/inclusions/seeds, whatever you want to call them  -  although such things tend to be found on glass that would be older than this, usually.             It's a little unusual, having the pressed bowl but with cutting on the foot.
Would have thought the odds are against you ever finding an attribution, unfortunately.         I had looked through a few books, but no joy.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand