No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about Victorian Christmas Kugels?  (Read 4017 times)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
Anyone know anything about Victorian Christmas Kugels?
« on: April 29, 2006, 01:10:30 AM »
I have been gone a month for work, so wanted to post this to the group.  I found this at the Harrisburg PA "National".  This is a victorian Christmas Tree ornament ("Kugel" in the original German).  This one was bought by an American at the Newark Antique Fair in England, then brought to the USA.  He bought three of them, and kept one for himself.  He had two for sale, but I was the only one that bought one, as they were VERY expensive, but I could not pass up the opportunity.  This one is 3.5 inches in diameter.  The little metal holder at the top has "S.D.M. Ltd., BRITISH MADE stamped on the top flat surface, but, this could be a replacement part from a different ornament. I also did a google search on this and found nothing relevant.  Have also searched the Victorian Christmas ornament pages, and have found nothing similar.

I only bought one, but offer a composite photo here so you can see it with different backgrounds, UV light, etc.  the second link shows where the pontil rod was broken off.  As you can see in the close-up photo in the second link, the glass is thick.  It weighs too much to be hung on a tree as an ornament, which is how the very early ones were made.
Any help or debunking of my thoughts is appreciated!

http://www.vaselineglass.org/kugel1.jpg
http://www.vaselineglass.org/kugel2.jpg

Dave Peterson
aka: Mr. Vaseline Glass

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 02:09:35 AM »
If you have not seen it, perhaps this link will answer some of your questions.  http://www.kugelhouse.com/kugelhistory.asp

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 02:12:20 AM »
Yes, I did run across that link, but am trying to find out if anyone knows of a company in England (or elsewhere) that made VASELINE OPALESCENT (URANIUM) glass Christmas tree ornaments.  
All that I have seen have been with the reflective metal lining.
Dave

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Anyone know anything about Victorian Christmas Kugels?
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 10:07:54 AM »
Quote from: "mrvaselineglass"
... The little metal holder at the top has "S.D.M. Ltd., BRITISH MADE stamped on the top flat surface, but, this could be a replacement part from a different ornament. ...

Dave — Wonderful and unexpected object.   I am not surprised you just had to have one.   I wouldn't know where to start with attribution.    Most, but not all, British mounted table glass was sold by the glassworks to the metalbashers, who then added their contribution and sold it on to their trade clients.   There is not even a trend with other types of British glass.

I think you are pessimistic about the possibility of a later mix-and-match.   Of course it's possible, but the two parts go together so well.   I wouldn't even classify it as a Christmas Tree Ornament, which makes the holder seem like some sort of temporary stand, but an Epergne, a Fabulous Eclectic Epergne!

The initials on the holder are new to me.

Sorry I can't help more.

By the way, was this glass pressed or mould blown?   Is it a simple pointed diamond pattern, or more complicated like Heacock II Edition 2 549/550?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 01:17:47 PM »
Bernard
In reading your comments, I got the feeling you were talking about the metal as being the elaborate, tall, black holder.  THAT was bought at an antique shop that sells modern Christmas tree ornaments and they had numerous display holders, costing $3 US each.  The part I am referring to (that had the initials) is the little gray cap with the metal loop that attaches to the Kugel, so that it can be hung from the big black display holder.

I just received an email from another person who thought this was most likely a 'crib' or backyard piece, never in regular production from a factory.  I have a few of those type pieces, but did not think of it immediately when I found this piece.  

A mold was used to make the opalescent spot pattern (when the gather was about the size of a chicken egg), but after it was put in the glory hole to achieve the opalescent treatment, it was then blown free of any mold.

Dave (aka: Mr. Vaseline Glass)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 01:30:22 PM »
As these were so widely made it would be impossible to tie down a maker, I have catalogues of these from across Europe though all are 20th century. I would not be too quick to assume they are friggers although no doubt glassmakers did often make their own decorations - visit any glass-blowers' home!

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 07:58:22 PM »
Quote from: "mrvaselineglass"
Bernard
In reading your comments, I got the feeling you were talking about the metal as being the elaborate, tall, black holder.  THAT was bought at an antique shop that sells modern Christmas tree ornaments and they had numerous display holders, costing $3 US each.  The part I am referring to (that had the initials) is the little gray cap with the metal loop that attaches to the Kugel, so that it can be hung from the big black display holder. ...

Dave — Yes, you are quite right.   I got that well and truly wrong, didn't I?   That's two major blunders on this message board in as many days.   I was caught with a third today.   A colleague was visiting, and I switched from battery power on my camera to an external power supply.   I took the batteries out before plugging in.   He pointed out that I don't need to do this.   I showed him the handbook, and he had to agree that it didn't actually say anywhere that I could use both.    For six years I've been unnecessarily taking the batteries out and putting them back in again.

I think three blunders must be a good luck omen.   I timed it well as I have my City & Guilds Access database assessment on Tuesday morning.   I am hoping for not just a pass but a distinction.   I start PowerPoint on Wednesday, hopefully!

I will not edit them away — they might make someone smile.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 01:50:14 PM »
Hi, I am assuming these are Kugels.  I bought them some years ago as victorian glass christmas tree ornaments...other than that I know nothing about them.  Does anyone have any more info please?>

http://i3.tinypic.com/wvxxcn.jpg

Emmi

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 02:54:13 PM »
'Kugel' just means 'ball', doesn't it? I'm always pottering around eBay.de, and its applied to anything that's spherical (it's mostly 1960's lamps and speakers that I hunt for, but I assume it's used similarly elsewhere).

Very nice bauble, though.  :D

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 06:16:35 PM »
Yes it does a better term for these is Glaskugels. Literally Glass balls. I dug out one catalogue, which is German, it could well illlustrate the type starting the thread as well as Emmi's type. The pineapple type sold for 1 Mark a piece. Only the balls are called Glasskugels, others are referred to as Kugelform. Many are just call Verzierungen - decorations. Ones intended for Xmas trees are call Christbaumschmuck.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand